cichlid salt?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I was reading up some more on african cichlids and came across "cichlid salt" is this something I should be adding to thier tank? They have eco-complete cichlid sand as a substrate, would that already contain the salt? :confused:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
generally speaking, if your water is already hard and alkaline, as are many if not most municipal water supplies throughout the states, then the addition of 'cichlid salts' for African Malawi species will do neither good nor harm. if on the other hand, you're keeping Tanganyikan cichlids or your water is soft (low TDS), then the addition of Rift Lake salts will benefit them.

since you're using Eco Complete substrate which is basically aragonite (calcium carbonate) your water chemistry should be fine without the need for the addition of cichlid salts.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
test your water in the tank. if it isnt ideal to what they need, you should buy some salt and start using it permanently. then test the pH after the salt. if it isnt ideal you need to get a malawi lake buffer to get it to its ideal level. malawis are very hardy species and can survive years in unideal water conditions. but your goal should be for them to thrive, not just live. and getting their water as close to ideal as possible should be the goal, not just good enough. you are compeltely responsible for their well-being and its not like the salts and buffers cost a fortune. for a little extra money you can ensure that you are doing the best you can for them.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Thank you, my water is fine as far pH and hardness I haven't had a problem with that at all. I had just read about the salt and didn't know if it was something it needed. I figured it was fine without it because I hadn't seen much about it exept for the one site and when I came here for help with setting up the tank it wasn't mentioned. (Kinda like aquarium salt eh?)

Thanks,

Gin

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Thank you, my water is fine as far pH and hardness I haven't had a problem with that at all. I had just read about the salt and didn't know if it was something it needed. I figured it was fine without it because I hadn't seen much about it exept for the one site and when I came here for help with setting up the tank it wasn't mentioned. (Kinda like aquarium salt eh?)

Just to clarify for anyone reading this, "Cichlid Salts" are combined mineral salts designed to help replicate the Rift lake environments. These products are mostly earthy minerals with very small calculated amounts of Sodium and chloride just like what is found in the african lakes. As mentioned above "Cichlid Salts" would be beneficial for folks using soft water, or folks who's tank environment was not as hard as these fish might like.

"Freshawater Aquarium Salt" is Sodium Chloride, just like table salt. It is not good for Freshwater fish long term, and really only has a couple of beneficial short term uses.

There is unfortunately some confusion in the hobby with terminology around the word "Salt" so it's always good to know and remember the difference.

As mentioned above if your Substrate is providing the cheistry you need you probably don't need the mineral salts, if the substrate isn't then "Cichlid Salts" are or can be useful.

Dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store