Filter media questions : Bio balls vs ceramic rings

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Hi,

Which has more surface area for bacteria? bio balls or ceramic rings?
for example if both were to occupy 1 square inch , which would house more bacteria?

also will bio balls be effective if left floating inside the tank?

thanks.

nerdyguy83

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Erie, PA, US
Bio balls are meant for a wet/dry filter (for bigger setups). I don't think they would do you any good on top of an aquarium. I've asked the question before and have always gotten a no. I would think the ball would have more surface area that the ring, but I would need to see a picture. If it it just a flat ring, then definitely. I don't see anything ceramic floating either, or if it does, if it is a flat ring, then one side is always in water and one side is always in air which would mean no bacteria would grow on top while the stuff on the bottom didn't get oxygen.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
is this for something like a canister filter? each has a different purpose. the bioballs are designed to have water gently trickle over them, also allowing air in which greatly oxgenates the nitrifying bacteria. the ceramic rings are made for a submerged biological filter where it is the surface area inside all the crevices in the ring that increases surface area. if the rings are rough and porous they are the biological ones, if they are smooth-surfaced and nonporous they arent much good for a biological filter. bioballs floating in a tank are defeating the purpose of the bioball and you might as well add a little more gravel since that would be a submerged media for the gravel to grow on in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store