Mollie Gave Birth!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Woofy

Registered crazy
Jun 30, 2006
Miami
www.myspace.com
So i woke up this morning and saw a once fat mollie very thin but didnt see any babies, i figured they all got eaten, but then i saw the gravel sort of move and just barely saw a little tail wiggling into the gravel. They are hiding everywhere, i counted maybe 3 or 4 though i wonder if thats all that made it or are they just all hiding. i would like to find them to put them in a seperate incloser but how? anyways, dont know if they'll be eaten by the time i get home though sooo....yeah

oh and how soon again can she get pregnant and how do i tell a male mollie from a female?

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Shes probably already pregnant again. If I miss a birth and have a tank full I basically give up the better part of the day. I sit patiently with a net and scoop them up as I see them and put them into my fry tank. You will miss some that won't show up for a few days. If you see one just grab it. lol

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Oh sorry I forgot. You can tell the difference between males and female Mollies by their anal fin. Males have a gonopodium at their anal fin, and females have a regular triangle fin there.

Woofy

Registered crazy
Jun 30, 2006
Miami
www.myspace.com
thanks for your help, i'm lucky i got her when i did, one more day at the pet store with like 30 other fish in her tank and the babies would have never made it. i just got her yesterday. how big should the fry be before they can go back and not be food? they look like little tadpole they're so cute. one dumb one keeps swimming around :dive2: bound to get eaten :duh:

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Female Mollies can store sperm and can get pregnant several times after one encounter with a male. You need either a seperate tank or hiding places if you want any babies to survive.

asincero

AC Members
Jan 16, 2006
You should toss some hornwort into the tank. It gives a better place for the babies to hide.

Woofy

Registered crazy
Jun 30, 2006
Miami
www.myspace.com
i put in baby hideouts i tried to cath them but it was chaos and they hide very good, i was afraid to move around the gravel and squish them.i counted about 8 or nine one minute then they wre gone into the gravel, who knows how many there are, only two use the baby hide out the rest just dig themselves in the gravel. :huh: oh well we'll see what happens i guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store