Are there any puffers for a 30g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I am really wanting to get some puffers and my fish in my 30 are getting ready to go into a 55 so....I was wondering if there were any puffers that could go comfortabley into the 30g I would really love to have more than 1 if that would be possible with any of the species.

If there are any could you please help me with if there could be any tank mates with it (a species only tank would be fine with me) but if they could have tank mates I'd love that too.

Thanks for everything in advance!
Gin :thm:

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
you could try a figure 8 puffer, or 2 green puffers. and I think gobies make good tankmates for puffers. no inverts, though. they'll just be puffer munchies!

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Oh I love the fig 8 puffers!! I would only be able to get one of them though?

The green puffer is that the spotted green puffer or is that something different?

Gobies huh, I really like them too, especially the bumble bee gobies.

Thanks that would be a great tank I think, I have to go and look a few things up now, all puffers start out fw, then bw then full marine right? Or do they just go to BW...well I guess that is stuff I'll find out when I look up the fig 8 and green puff.

Thanks again and ANY suggestion are definately welcome!!

Gin :joke:

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
umm... are you talking about full marine puffers? fig8's and green spotteds are BW or fresh, but not marine. I suppose they could live in full marine, though. if you mean full marine, hmmm.... I don't know too much about marine puffers, sorry.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
No, I didn't mean I was looking for marine puffers, I was just thinking that I read they ended up that way. BW is fine with me, I have some experience with BW and I'd would rather stick with that.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
I think I like the 2 fig. 8s for my tank. Since they only get to around 3" (and I think they are just so darn cute!). Now the articles I found about them said they are "light" brackish...1.005-1.008, would that be correct..I'm only asking b/c I have read things before and they ended up being completly wrong (like to make a tank brackish add 5tbs aquarium salt/gallon of water).

They also said to heavily plant the tank and give lots of rocks/cave for hidding (this sounds correct to me since they are aggressive) but I wasn't sure about the planted part since this is a BW tank. And a sand substrate that puffers to help with the pH. If I am going to try and plant this tank I was thinking the eco. complete for cichlids would be best?

I am looking into gobies right now, so far I like the bumblebee gobie and I can't remember the name of the other but it was white with gray/silver spots (white knight maybe?). Leaning toward the BB gobie since I read that most predatory fish do not mess with them much because of the wasp like coloring (this may be another "myth" though) so I thought I'd ask. I just started looking into these so I may end up asking about another one soon (and adding the name of the other that I liked).

Does all this sound ok so far?

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Ok I've run into some conflicting facts (imagine that :rolleyes: ), anyway most sites I've been to say the figure 8 gets to be around 2-3" but a few say the adult size is around 6"? So I thought I'd ask ya'l which is it?

Thanks,

Gin

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
6" is correct. and they are quite beligerent towards their own kind, which is why I said just one per tank.

perek

AC Members
Jun 24, 2006
F8's max at 4" (rare), Green spotted puffers get 6".

1.005-1.010 SG would be ideal for a F8, F8's dont travel far out of estuaries and spend alot of time in freshwater, unlike the marin GSP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store