Best media to have in a canister filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sirgardens

AC Members
Jun 23, 2006
Arleta, Ca
What would be the best media to have in a canister filter?
My xp3 has three media baskets.
Its a 3 part filter: 1 part mechanical 1 part biological and 1 part chemical
The manufacture suggest the bottom basket be filled with filter foam.
Which it does (included)
The middle basket should have bio media I got Bio-chem stars which I could fit 2 bags of 20 stars each.According to the manufacture each bag 20count is for 100gal
The top basket came with some type of charcoal.
The charcoal will only last so long and many of you rather water change than use charcoal
My question is:
Do you guys think it would be a better idea to replace the charcoal and add more bio-media I would then have 1 part mechanical and 2 part bio.
Or do you guys think the balance of all three (mech, bio, and chem) types of filtration is better.
Thanks alot you guys like always all of your comments are greatly appreciated.

ps I alreasy have 2 HOB emperors 400 for the mechanical/chemical portion and of course the bio wheels they hold.

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
My XP3's contain ceramic noodles in the bottom basket, Foam in the middle basket, more noodles and/or bioballs in the top basket. I also use a sponge pre-filter. I do weekly 50% water changes so see no need for chemical filtration. I also have heavily planted tanks.
If you had fish only and laxed on water changes, you may want to incorporate chemical filtration. Otherwise, save your $, go with more bio filtration, and change water :)

-be

Shelby_Tempo_GT

There's something fishy going on!
Jun 5, 2006
the Rena charcoal is resuable.

It just requires rinsing to reactivate

If you dont want to add chemical filtration, add more microfiltration (the white pads)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Carbon all the way.

However, it is not rechargeable in a home enviorenment.

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Bio & mech all the way, a healthy tank doesn't need chem filtration.
Weekly testing and maintenance handles chem.

Stillwater

AC Members
Jul 5, 2006
As far as I know, charcoal cannot be recharged in the home environment.

If you do decide to use Ceramic Noodles (eg: ehfimech) for mechanical and/or biological filtration, I would suggest ordinary plastic straws from a dollar store, cut to size. Volume for volume, plastic straws could provide more surface area than CN for useful bacteria to grow on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store