plant identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jaymasta

AC Members
Jun 3, 2006
hey guys I have this plant in my tank that is doing great, recently alot of the top leaves have been showing red veins and it looks really healthy, but its only happeneing to the top leaves and not all of them either, can you guys tell me if this is a healthy plant or is it missing something the picture shows the plant and the same plant beside it doesn't have any red in it at all? although its the same plant coming from the same base....

plant.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It is healthy. I had lots too-- beautiful plant. More light=more pink.

It is a pink version of hygro.

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
thats what i was thinking.. hygrophila polysperma?
only the top is pink because the top ones are new leaves that are adapted to the water and bottom part is still trying to adapt to the new water? does that make sense?

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
misopeenut said:
thats what i was thinking.. hygrophila polysperma?
only the top is pink because the top ones are new leaves that are adapted to the water and bottom part is still trying to adapt to the new water? does that make sense?
It is not adapting, it is that color. But the higher light makes it more pink. The lower part because of less light is less pink so the green shows more.

jaymasta

AC Members
Jun 3, 2006
SWEET.. yes it is my favorite plant along with my banana plant, I doubled my lighting in the past few days, and I guess they really starting to show there colours, even some of the lower leaves are starting to show red highlights in there "veins".
thanks guys.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
The stuff grows like a weed, I'm trimming mine weekly.

Be careful when you dispose of it. Its actually a Federal law that you can't posess,sell,trade this stuff. Its very invasive and doesn't need to be in water. its also a bog plant and will grow anywhere.

I have a septic tank so I flush what I don't give away(shhh). If you're on a sewer system you can't flush it.

Your best bet is to let it dry out and burn it.

jaymasta

AC Members
Jun 3, 2006
plants giving off bubbles?

WTF my plants were actaully bubbling today????
geez my tank is acting extremely weird these past few days mainly since I have added all this extra lighting. Just to make sure I was seeing things I shut off everything took my CO2 line out, turned off my powerhead and my canister, and some of the plants had a continuous drizzle of bubbles coming up from them what is going on, they look and seem extremely healthy though and it looks really neat, they are turning a deep green and the red veins are becoming VERY prominent....

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
jaymasta said:
WTF my plants were actaully bubbling today????
geez my tank is acting extremely weird these past few days mainly since I have added all this extra lighting. Just to make sure I was seeing things I shut off everything took my CO2 line out, turned off my powerhead and my canister, and some of the plants had a continuous drizzle of bubbles coming up from them what is going on, they look and seem extremely healthy though and it looks really neat, they are turning a deep green and the red veins are becoming VERY prominent....
Normal, and very healthy. I do not really know why but maybe a cut in plant somewhere. Usually after I prune, ALL my plants are bubbling. Stored-up CO2 coming from a cut, or O2 coming from plant.

jaymasta

AC Members
Jun 3, 2006
WOW it was even better today, almost all my plants are bubbling away, it looks like a very fine airstone type mist is coming from almost all my plants at a faily constant rate it looks very nice, and iam very relived that there healthy because I didn't know what was going on :dance:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store