Help! Tetra fungal infection!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
Well, im pretty sure its a fungal infection. to make the long story short, i had a tank all ready for fish that had been running for 3 days. i noticed a blanket of something white, cloudy and wispy growing at the back on my ship ornament and bottom of the plants. did a 100% water change and figured it must be a plant i have that was dying (found dead leaves) and it was fungus. cleaned up plants, ornaments, and water and filled it back up, looked good.

2 days later, i added water conditioner, bio-spira, and my 9 Black Phantom Tetras, worked great. discovered 1 tetra had a wound on its side. i was looking for a container that i could use to quarantine that tetra to treat with Melafix for the wound. Next day, the wound was lightly covered in a cottony, fuzzy white growth. i looked around my tank, lo and behold the ship ornament had small bubbles of fungus, though not as bad as previously. i quickly got a container, took the tetra out, and treated with both Melafix and Pimafix for the fungus. Did not get better, only got larger. Was out for 2 days, when i got back, 2 more tetras had the body fungus around the bottom near the gills in my main tank. i decided to put the 1 tetra back in and treat the tank as a whole. its been 2 days since i did that and did a 25% water change and been dosing daily with Pimafix, body fungus doesn't look like its going away or even dimishing.

my questions are:
1. is it body fungus or am i mistaking it for something else? sure does look like it to me though, just making sure.
2. is Pimafix enough to treat it? also, should i dose Melafix as well?
3. am i being impatient or will i start to see changes in the coming days? if you had a fungal infection in your tank, how long did it take for you to rid of it and what did you do?

if you need additional info, please ask. thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store