Vacation! What about feeding fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I'm going on vacation yay! :D I don't trust anyone to feed my fish, my roomate is a moron. :mad: Believe me! So I got those food pyramids. Anyone know how to use them??? :confused: Or if they are good to use?

I have two tanks I will be putting these food pyramids in. One ten gallon with five neon tetras, two swordtails and a CAE. The other tank is a 29 gallon with five cichlids and a huge dragon, I mean algae eater. :) Will the pyramids work and be sufficient enough for them? I love my little fishies. :D

Thanks,
Alicia

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
how long are you going on vacation? fish can go for quiet a long time without eating. much longer than one woudl think.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
To use the food cubes just drop them in and they will slowly disolve. Be warned if yo have snails as they will all attach to the stupid thing and the fish won't be able to get at it.

I use an automatic feeder I bought for about 20 dollars that feeds twice a day. It isn't accurate enough (or quiet) to use all the time but if I am gone for a week or more it is what I use.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
If you're going to be gone less than two weeks, I'd leave them without food. Too much chance of those pyramids fouling the water...

An auto feeder (mechanical hopper thingy) will work, but is not necessary if you only go on the rare weeklong trip.

If you go away for a week without feeding the fish, you'll return to sparkling clean water and happy, hungry fish.

Jim

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
how long is the trip?

yea if less than like 2 weeks thgen you should be fine by not feeding them because in the wild fish can go for days/weeks without food depending on how big the fish are. if they are pretty good size u should be ok with 2 weeks.

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
oh yeah....

Sorry I forgot to tell ya that part. I will be gone for a week. My fishies are always hungry. I defiantly want to feed them. Or I will have angry fish! So how do you use these pyramids?

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
to use the pyramids you jusut toss em into the tank and let the fish eat em. you may want to try to put 1 in before you leave to make sure they will eat the food, i know whenever i use that "time release" food my fish never eat it and i come back to hungry fish and a big lump of crap in the tank in the corner or stuck on the filter intake.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Your fish won't be angry. Your fish won't starve.

You can use a pyramid if you like, but do so with the realization that some people have come back to major problems from those block feeders. Not everyone, but enough times that many of us wouldn't touch them.

I hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Jim

Ronne

IAMCANADIAN
Nov 27, 2002
48.25'00"N, 123.22'00"S
Visit site
A caution about the vacation feeders...make sure you do a large water change the day you get back from vacation. The feeder is made from a plaster-like material that can wreak havoc on your water quality, especially in smaller tanks like yours. Most of the vacation feeder companies actually put a little warning on their packaging (in VERY small print!). One week without food would be fine for your fish. It would also be good for your water quality.

Try a doing a search on the forum for "vacation" and it should come up with some threads that discussed this topic in depth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store