Substrate Advice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trivial104

AC Members
Jul 6, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I haven’t had an aquarium since I was young, but decided I would try and resurrect a 20G aquarium I got from a friend. I wanted to create a well planted tank with pygmy sword or similar small plant to create a nice green carpet in the tank. I’d like to try to keep adding nutrients to a minimum, by starting with a good substrate.

I’ve come across some differing advice on substrate combinations, and wanted to hear any substrate combinations that have worked well for people.

My plan was to use a Florite and gravel mix for a 2” base and then add another 2” of regular gravel, sloping up to an extra 3 or 4” in the back of the tank. Is this a good substrate mix, or is there a better combination to use?

Can your substrate be too deep? I haven’t read any warnings on what can happen in a deep substrate greater than 3”.

I was at one of the big chain stores and they advised me to use laterite as the base layer, then fluorite on top, and then a layer of gravel. But I’ve read that fluorite eliminates the need for laterite, and I am wondering if it’s a waste to add it. I also am curious as to what the best gravel is to use for the main substrate. The store I went to had only epoxy covered gravel, is this ok to use or is there a better choice?

Last question I’d like to sneak in. Are undergravel filters a good idea in a planted aquarium? I’d like to start with a bio-wheel and possibly later move to a having a sump.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
first, if the substrait is too deep, the lower layers wont get oxygen, which can be dangerous and create deadly anaerobic pockets.

second, i have no idea about lateralite and flourite. i'm trying to unravel that one myself right now

third, try to find some fine gravel less than 3mm in diameter, this is basically very coarse sand.

fourth, under gravel systems are NOT good for planted tanks. not only do the plant roots get all tangled up in the UGF plate, but they suck all the nutrients out of the substrait and blow it into the water column.

trivial104

AC Members
Jul 6, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for the help. I bought the Flourite and on the package it says no need to supplement with latelite, so I think that it will work good as a base substrate by itself.

Zen4t5

AC Members
Jun 2, 2006
Northern NJ
Flourite does not need laterite. Just your LFS trying to make another buck. RockabillyChick is right on the money with everything.

Word of advise: Rinse the flourite like there is no tommorw. It is a great substrate, but can be a real pain in the arse if is not rinsed properly. It is well worth it if you do it right the first time. When you fill your tank make sure to fill it very slowly, so you don't disturb the flourite. Use the plate/bowl trick to SLOWLY fill your tank.

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
maybe not another buck, I don't think those salemen at the megastores work on Commision, and don't care for sales. They just don't know.

I used Eco Complete because you don't have to rinse it, and it doesn't make your water red when you stir it up. (though it does make it a little cloudy at first)

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Laterite is a natural soil or rock substrate high in iron and was used before the introduction of clay based substrates like Flourite. Both provide the same thing, a substrate rich in iron, so you don't need to use both.

Layering substrates is up to you, just know that the layers will mix over time. A depth of 2" in front/4" in back total should be enough, having it deeper is unnecessary except for aesthetics. You don't need too much regular gravel, especially for pygmy chain swords because their roots don't go very deep. The smaller the gravel the better, you'll have an easier time planting and the plants will be less likely to be knocked loose. Other than size, the kind of gravel are irrelevent.

swannee

Registered Member
Apr 28, 2006
trivial104 said:
I’ve come across some differing advice on substrate combinations, and wanted to hear any substrate combinations that have worked well for people.

My plan was to use a Florite and gravel mix for a 2” base and then add another 2” of regular gravel, sloping up to an extra 3 or 4” in the back of the tank. Is this a good substrate mix, or is there a better combination to use?
If you are going to Florite, you can mix it 50/50 with gravel, but no need for the laterite as they both are iron (Fe) enriched.

Save your money and just use a thin layer of Peat and a little Laterite or Clay Soil about 1 oz per gal. and cap with 2 1/2" to 3" gravel (1mm to 3mm) this may help!http://rexgrigg.com/index.htm

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
RockabillyChick said:
first, if the substrait is too deep, the lower layers wont get oxygen, which can be dangerous and create deadly anaerobic pockets.
how deep is too deep?
ive seen tanks with 12inch of aqua soil and those tanks have running for couple of years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store