Red Sea Nano filter- good, but not great

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

InR reason

InR reason
May 28, 2006
www.myspace.com
The Red sea filter on my 2.5 is a very good chemical/mechanical filter. For it's small size it does the job relatively well in keep the water visibly "clean". However, although it is advertised as providing biological filtration, this isn't possible. The dual-padded replacement pads are replaced every 2 weeks because as per reccomendation they will easily get clogged due to their smaller size.

My idea is to add a little sponge to the filter to help maintain a healthy balance of bacteria. I'd like to ask those of you who might have similar betta setups like me and use or have known anyone who has added biological filtration to this Red Sea device. Thank you.

I want to start cycling this tank but so far have done 25% water changes twice a week as I need to keep the toxins at bay. I'd like bacteria there to help if I'm away or (God forbid) something happens and I'm not around for a while.

Alreadyinuse

AC Members
Mar 9, 2006
I usually just rinse off the pads every 2 weeks in old water from my water changes. I dont actually replace the pads unless they start to really break down, and even then I will only change out 1 of the pads at a time.

nerdyguy83

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Erie, PA, US
I would either just keep the same pad in there and rinse as others suggest or replace the cartridge entirely with a sponge. The filter pack probably has carbon which according to many is pretty worthless. I have seen estimates that activated carbon stays "activated" and effective for about 2 days. After that it is another surface for bacteria to grow on, so it isn't worthless. I would still rather a sponge however. I would use a Fluval sponge to grow your bacteria on and then maybe some cotton batting that can be replaced as floss to keep the water completely clear. Just make sure to rinse the sponge in the water you take out during changes.

InR reason

InR reason
May 28, 2006
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys. What I did manage to do was to cut a part out of a two week old filter pad and placed it between a fresh filter and the carbon pad. This should allow healthy bacteria to flourish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store