Pacific Blue Tang - Strange Eating Habits

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skiffalope

Washed up on the Reef
May 15, 2006
Riverside, CA
Say, just got a Pac Blue Tang and he seems to be healthy, but the doesn't eat as much as the Blue Damsel he shares the tank with despite the fact that he is bigger. In fact, he doesn't touch the seaweed I put in the tank and only nibbles at the ON Formula 2 flakes I put in.

Any thoughts?

tullsterx

AC Members
Apr 21, 2006
So, you've just fed seaweed and flake? If so, then you should try some greater variety. Many marine fish won't take flake food initially. Also, sometimes Tangs won't eat Nori initially. Try some frozen mix like Emerald Entree or Marine Cuisine or some brine shrimp, or some blanched Romaine lettuce.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I concur. Many SW fish are harvested from the wild, so they haven't learned how to eat prepared foods. So providing your tang with some more natural food sources (fresh leafy vegetables and live food) will probalby entice it to eat. They just haven't learned that dried seaweed and processed flakes are food yet! With time, it'll probably get it. Plus, if you haven't had it long, it may just be stressed.

skiffalope

Washed up on the Reef
May 15, 2006
Riverside, CA
Well, it figured it out. It is still alive after over a week and appears to be fat and happy. I've watched it eating flake, some of the algae and some brine shrimp. All in all, I think we're good.

However, he has a weird habit of using his tail fin to kick up sand. Could this be sign of disease??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store