anemone crab deaths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i have purchased an anemone crab two times and the same thing has happened to both of them. i bought the first one and acclimated and i always watch my new stuff to see how it goes. within 5 minutes there was a small peppermint snail crawling out of the sand(at the time i had never seen a peppermint snail in my tank before). the crab never ran away, but when the snail raised up to try to crawl on the crab, the crab would swat it with his claw. this went on for about 20 minutes and then i had to leave to pick up one of my children. when i came back the crab had no legs or claws, dead. 2 weeks later i bought another one, thinking maybe i hadnt acclimated it long enough and it just died and other things had robbed its body. i acclimated it for a bit longer than the first one and then put him in. after about 10 minutes the snails were back out. i moved the crab to a different location but it would go right back to the sand, and 5 to 10 minutes after that the snails would be all over him. this time i sat and watched and the snails dismantled the crab in about 20 minutes. whats up with that? i have porcelain crabs and the snails dont bother them. i went to inland aquatics and found a picture of one of the snails and it said it was a peppermint snail. anyone had any problems like this before. and they were not just eating dead crab. i sat and watched the whole thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store