How long have you had your Anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tullsterx

AC Members
Apr 21, 2006
I've been considering getting an Anemone for my tank, but, I've read several articles that question whether Anemone's can live happily over the long term in a home aquarium.

How long has your Anemone been in your tank?

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
mine is still new, ive had my BTA since jan. Here is a part right out of Clownfishes by Joyce D wilkerson
"During 1994-1995, about 100 hobbyists who had experiencekeeping clownfish-hosting sea anemones filled out survey forms posted on CompuServe FishNet and the Internet. The restlts showed that 46% of the anemones kept by reporting hobbyists with less than two years of marine aquarium-keeping experienve were dead after an average of 3.5 months. Those hobbyists with two to five years experience did not have much greater success: 40% of their anemones died an average of 11.5 months after acquistion. Even amoung aquarists with more than 5 years' experiene, 27% of their anemones were dead afer an average of 14 months. Only 1 out of every 18 anemones in the survey had been in captivity for three years, and 1 in 36 reached five years in captivity. The conclusion is obvious: clownfish-hosting anemones are not "hardy
in captivity. These odds are sad news for hobbyists's wallets but sadder still for the anemones, because anemones should theoretically live long lives, just as unfortunate are the many generations of settling juvenile clownfishes that will not finda home in the wild because an anemone was removed from its natural habittat only to die in an unsuspecting hobbyist's aquarium. Still, we can hope that their requirements will become better understoon in the near future and that captive-propagated specimens will become widely availible."

So yes, anemones do have a very low survival rate in the wild. Here are some things i would make sure you have become getting one:
-you have MH lighting, or a lot of t5 or a heck of a lot of VHO
-your tank is at least 6-8 months old, a year being more suitable
-you do frequent water changes and your waterlevels ahve become stable and remain pristine.

Barbie

Fishaholic
Also that you specifically look for anemone clones that have come from a successful tank. They will obviously have been happy enough to reproduce (well it can happen from stress also, but usually that isn't the case if they live through it), so you're going to have a better chance with them. Also remember to feed the anemone for optimal success. Some clownfish will do this, but just as many will spend time stealing the food!

With all that said, I've had my anemones all more than a year. Two are clones from anemones I kept in a display at the store I worked at and the other two are from a friends tank. He started with 1 RBTA and in less than 2 years was up to 14 and they were reaching critical mass. It really was a sight to see though!

Barbie

Krazy K

AC Members
Jul 16, 2006
I've had a rock/flower anemone for about a year, he's almost triple the size of when I bought him... he gets a half a silverside about 2-3 times a week, sometimes more if I have the time to prepare it, the food always gets soaked in garlic and zoecon

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I have a Haitian purple tip, had it for about 7 months now, he seems to be doing ok. Traditionally these are not good hosting anemones, BUT I HAVE DESPERATE CLOWN FISH! My mated pair of perc clowns started hosting in him, after their green carpet died :( They were so desperate for a host they started brushing up against the Haitian in stages, now they sleep inside and all is well.

I wish I could have had the crystal ball out for that one, I could have saved $70.00 on the carpet, the purple tip cost just $9.00!! We live and learn!

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
6-8 months

It is a BTA, picked it up and it's diameter was about 7 cm, it has easily doubled in size, an ocellaris is hosting it, and i have never fed the BTA.

Carstanos

AC Members
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I have had my Sebae for about 18 months now 14 of which i didnt have any clown fish for him. He has trippled in size since I got him and now had a Mated pair of Clarkii's that bring him food every feeding.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Carstanos said:
Mated pair of Clarkii's that bring him food every feeding.

I find that hard to believe, since it has been proven that clown fish don't feed their anemone, or so I have been told and also read.

Do you have any pics

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
My percs feed my purple tip anemone, everyday! They even take him flake food sometimes. I feed frozen shrimp, the clowns will grab a piece and take it over to him.

I will try and snap a picture of it next time, but they really do take care of their host. I have read articles about it being a myth though, so I understand where you are coming from, but, it really happens, it is so coool to watch!

duck

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
South Georgia
Visit site
rock

I have a rock anemone that is about 2 years old and has survived 2 tank changes. He has grown over double the size it was when I first got it.

I have tried lots of others and have found that the 3 to 4 months rule is pretty persistant. I think the rock anemones just must be a little more hardy.

My second one is about 5 months and seems to be doing great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store