URGENT fish with ick plz help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
i've never heard of crushed garlic for any fish. Not saying it is wrong, but i would like to know more if this would work. Please respond..........

i have a 2 or 3 gallon tank that i use for dipping. I put a gallon of tank water and two drops of a Formaldehyde ick treatment. (read bottle, may be different with different brands) 3-4 mins and back in the tank for the fish. Do not know long term effects of Formaldehyde, but it does work.

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
oh ya buddy.....

if your a junior member like me........:D

don't expect many replies, its like pulling teeth(most of the time).....:(

ask triggerpuff.....he knows

take it easy fellow junior member;)

Last edited:

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
atop the page, go to "user cp" you can change your title

notice how mine says "grisled" maybe that will throw the "super fish people" off!

Elmo

AC Members
Dec 8, 2001
London, Ontario
I'm not sure if the your fish will eat raw garlic, but pre-soaking flake food in garlic juice is said to boost a fishes immune system to help it recover, although this method can get a bit messy and smelly. There are commercial flake and pellet foods if you don't want to soak the food yourself.

Other than that I can't really give you any advice on treating your fish because I have never had to treat a case. Sorry.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Fellas, you just posted this afternoon! It's not like this has sat for days unanswered... :rolleyes: FWIW, Triggerpuff got valid advice from numerous people. All the experienced board members that posted gave him the same suggestions about reducing his livestock. If he chooses not to heed that advice, it's no reflection on the quality of the advice itself - it's a choice on his part.

Garlic is a commonly-used cure and preventative for any parasitic infection. Use fresh garlic extract - the easiest place to get this is through a health store like GNC. Get PURE extract, which is commonly available scent-free. Soak flake food in it for 20 minutes prior to feeding the fish and it should definitely help.

In the meantime, let's figure out what prompted the outbreak in the first place. Elliott, can you give more information about your tank, specifically including size, livestock, and water parameters? I noticed that you seemed to suggest that you have more than one coral beauty in the tank - is this so?

aquatek

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
California
Visit site
A good medication product is Kent's RxP marine parasite treatment. Its safe for most corals and safe for live rocks. The first safe product I trust and would put in my own berlin system with nice purple live rocks. It can also be used as a dip.

For food supplement. Kent's Garlic Extreme is good, a PURE garlic extract. Good for parasites as also stated by the bottle label. Also Kent's Zoe C is good, vitamin C is good for boosting immune systems.

Hope this will work and good luck!

aquatek

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
California
Visit site
If you cant get these products immediately. Then use freshly squeezed garlic juice, about 2-4 drops ONLY and soak flake food or brine shrimp. For minimum of 20 minutes.

If the spots are overwhelming then fresh water dip is helpful. You have to determine if the stress inflected on the fish while catching or dipping is worth it. Some fish might do worse after dip but most "healthy" fish should benefit.

And keep lighting hours shorter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store