guppy fry dillema!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
I just checked my tank tonight, and spotted 5 little baby guppy fry! still transparent. The thing is, my two net breeders are full, and being used. The rest of the 10, with the fry in it, have other guppies. I'd like them to live, but i'm stuck!
the only spare type of tanks I have is tihs 5 gallon hex with no top. I have an extra heater, and hang on filters, but im afraid to use the hang on because it barely fits and thats a little *too* strong for them
arrG?! What to do? I have no idea how they've lived without food down at the bottom!! My 2.5 has a full grown betta in it. I'm really deciding against euthanizing ( he's been getting every disease for the past month, and WONT get better ) and hijacking that tank for the fry. The betta i've known forever..and im scared
any ideas? I feel so stuck. And nobody nearby wants to take a betta off my hands ( *******s!! :D )
:confused: :(
Jeeezus. I cant let the two female bettas into the big tank, because they already HATE the guppies/danios. They wont sit together, because..well, i have no idea. My one female terrorizes the younger one. I obviously cant put the male in anywhere. And they 100 gallon with the oscar is so obviously off limits. I have one half of a tank devider, a broken 10 in the garage, and...nothing. Possibly putting the male betta in the 5 with no filter for a few days? Uuugh.
Buttttt. I'm seriously thinking of removing my beloved stanley. No matter how much I want to see him go to a good home, he's gotten ich, tail rot, fin rot, popeye, you name it. all within the past MONTH. rediculous.

Help..please...i feel so bad about every option.

Macromatt

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Clinton Township, MI
www.mattbaclar.com
Can you just go to the pet store and buy a small tank, with a sponge filter? or just use a large glass cup or something similiar. With them being so small, they don't need the volume of water a large tank has anyways. Cut off a small corner of one of your existing filters and put it in the cup with the fry.

Matt

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
since the fry are so small, why don't you use the 5 gallon hex, pop in an air stone, use the heater, and add the fry there. I would use water from the tank they're in so as to aleviate any cycling problems though. I have a friend who raised guppy fry in this manner successfully.....not sure if it had to do with the fact that they were so young and able to acclimate to the conditions easier (being without an actual filter)....but as long as you are consistent with water changes, due to them being so small, you might not need the filter.....I agree with you if you feel the filter would be too big for the hex, they'd be sucked up in no time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store