This might start some contraversy but...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
I did it I actually hav a blue damsel and cichlids living together! I started to add a little bit of marine salt to my aquarium with my smaller cichlids everyday for the past 2 months and once the salinity level reached 1.016 i decided to add a damsel 3 weeks ago and it is still doing fine and what amazes me is that now I have two red devils, a jack dempsey, and a texes living with a blue damsel! They seem to be thriving and they all have healthy appetites. tell me what you think...

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
my god.....PUT THE MARINE FISH IN A MARINE TANK! YOUR KILLING YOUR FISH!
How in the hell can you say you love fish when you do this. This is assinine and immoral. your killing a stunning marine fish and whats worse is your killing your other fish in the process. you are ruining the other fishes scales and gills, they may not look it now but they will Die. what a stupid thing you've done.

your sig is right....you ride the special bus..

Last edited:

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
three words:

Take your medications.

Lighten up. I personally find the obscenity laced tirade more offensive than the misguided actions being discussed in the first place.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
now sully ... you KNEW you were going to get flak for this. few people here can actually 'discuss' a topic intelligently and instead, feel the need to jump right on you with a bash and a crash and a wham and a bam.

personally, i guess i'm amazed that the damsel has fared so well ... so far. without having ANY information on this nor any experience, i would not expect the fish to thrive.

that said, i'm heading to the research room right now to try and become learned on this subject. who knows, i may find that damsels are among a small group of fish that can tolerate a range of salinity .. unlike most marine fishes.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Just a physiological note: water with lots of calcium ions (e.g. hard water) can sometimes support marine fishes at lower salinities. It happened in a fluke when scientists discovered what were considered totally marine species in a FW lake and wondered why. It's because the calcium (being divalent, +2 charge) can bind to the gills and prevent loss of salts (monovalent, +1 charge) from escaping their bodies, as would normally happen when saltwaer fish are put into freshwater. If I remember correctly, this is coming from straight memory.

But that's certainly NOT to say it's OK to do it in your own tank!!!

Last edited:

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Controversey for sure. I wonder if you realise you are experimenting with a LIVING CREATURE?!
Have you even done the research to find out how or why there are fish that live in saltwater or freshwater and thier differences? Do you plan on publishing your findings? Would you have even cared (and not just the ding to your walet) if they all died? Do you have a theory? A controll? Are you keeping record of any and all variables? Are you doing this with a large number of tanks, compairing results, incase this is a freak accident and it will never ever work with another tank of the same conditions/inhabitants?

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Exactly. We're all wondering WHY you would to that in the first place.

What was your reasoning? Was there any at all? How did you think you were going to justify it?

Last edited:

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
I was going to delete my original post but I think It stands nomatter how brash it is

DarkEntity

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Glasgow (ish) Scotland
I gotta agree, its possibly the stupidest thing you could experiment with, how could you even think about doing it?

You are damaging perfectly good fish, as mentioned if they dont look ill now they will do eventually :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store