wanting to upgrade current tank, need advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tinner7

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2006
Hello, I own a 55 gal marine tank with corral and live rock, its been set up now for alittle over a year. When I bought this tank, it was our first jump into marine tanks, so its a smaller 48x13x20 tank, I am wanting to upgrade my tank to a larger 72 gal. bow-front that is 48x18x23. My question is how to go about doing this without killing everything in the move? I plan to use my current lighting setup and live rock, and stand, can this be done, I know it will take time, so I am looking for some ideas, thanks

Cartman102

Respect my authoritaw!!
Mar 14, 2006
Branson, MO
Ok. What I would do is on your next water change make it a big water change and then empty that water into your new tank. I would then take a couple rocks from your old tank and then place it in the new tank. Buy new sand since stirring up your sand bed could spark up your nitrates. Then seed the new sand with a cup of sand from the tank you have now. Your new tank should be ready to add fish in less then 2 weeks (maybe in a couple of days?). Then transfer your equpiment to the new tank and add the fish!

Not sure what to do with the current stand. You may need to get a new one?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I moved about a month ago, and this is how I moved my 29 reef:

pack all equipment, and keep ALL filter media in bukets of water

start draining water into buckets

Start moving live rock into water filled buckets, with the ones that have corals on them into styrofoam containers

finish removing live rock, then start catching fish and inverts and transfer them to styrofoam container(s)

Move sand into buckets (with a little bit of water to keep it wet)

Set everything back up at new location, and put the fish and corals in last

Do basicially the same thing, except set up the new equipment on the tank, and you an keep te old equipment off to the side. Using this method, the only thing I found dead was a hermit crab, and everything is preetty much back to normal (cyano problem, corals expanding like they should)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store