maylasian wood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

azzngigalo

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2006
Hello everyone,

I've been hearing so much about maylasian wood. Could someone please explain what the difference between woods, like maylasian , drift, or african root wood that I've have seen in aquarium shop. What does maylasian wood look like, and a scientific name for the wood. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Nick

test4echo

Registered Seabeast
Jan 14, 2006
Well, I would prefer African driftwood just because it has a more chocolately natural brown. Maylasian is more of a maroon reddish brown when it is in water and is harder to sink in my opinion. Also available is Swahala driftwood which has a bright tan color with some pockets of dark brown. It is usually for repitle tanks but is now being used for aquariums. Of course there is always the artificial option that is widely available in LFSs that is easy to sink and doesn't need to be soaked before put into an aquarium. There are many types of driftwood out there and you just have to find the one that suits your tank best.

Here are some pics:
Maylasian Drifwood
Swahala Driftwood
Artificial Driftwood

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I really like my malasian drift wood. All the little holes and pockets provide hidding places for my smaller fish. Mine sank right away, and I actually like the tannins that leach and make my water a bit brown(more biotope specific) and it helps lower my PH a little bit. I've never used african woods so I cant help ya there :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store