feeding my fire eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

travis

AC Members
Jul 16, 2006
hi, ive had a 10 inch fire eel for about 2 months now, he is doing very well. he is very healthy and eats out of my hand. the problem is, he only eats earthworms (red wigglers). I can get him to bite frozen krill, but he spits it out. i would really like him to start getting some different foods for some healthy variety.

does anyone know how i can get him to start eating new things? people say that their's eat bloodworms and brine shrimp but how would you feed those to the eel?

thanks a lot everyone.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
i've heard soaking the food with some slices of fresh garlic will stimulate the appetite. i might have to do the same thing with my dwarf puffers because all they'll eat is live tubifex worms and i'd like them to get variety for better nutrition, like you said. just put the garlic, krill (or whatever food) and some warm water in a cup for about 10 minutes. then fish the food out and put it in the tank.

hope that works! i'll let you know how it goes with my babies.

also, you might try some cut up squid or shrimp, too. most large carnivorous fish like those quite a bit.

Last edited:

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
fire eels and other spiney eels are notoriously difficult to get to eat frozen or freeze dried foods. i bet he will eat other live foods though.

kody1192

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
Wow havnt been on here in a while... Mine eats live blackworms(so do the rest of my fish black arow, clown loaches,bgk,etc) I order mine from www.aquaticfoods.com since I go threw so many way cheaper than any lfs... Good luck

harrishawk

AC Members
Jun 21, 2006
houston
Ghost shrimp mine loves ghost shrimp. He has to work alittle which gives me a chance to see him stalking its almost like a cobra strike. You have to see it its a very cool thing mine comes up behind the shrimp in a jerky movement i guess to confuse the prey then strikes its so cool. Usually misses which is where the work comes from.

travis

AC Members
Jul 16, 2006
thanks guys. i might get some ghost shrimp or blackworms occasionally but i think i am going to start a worm colony so i can have lots of worms.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
if you want to breed ghost shrimp, make sure you have a special cover on your filter inlet, or it'll just suck up the larvae. or you could just do without a filter, and just have an airstone for circulation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store