guppy fry growing slowly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evedamnededen

AC Members
Apr 6, 2006
my 3 month old fry are just starting to look like real fish now, but I still can't tell what sex they are. They're only half an inch long, and their sibs that were born about 3 weeks ago are starting to catch up with the older fry. How do I make these babies grow faster? they have their own 10 gallon tank (i plan on giving most of them away cuz i have 15 fry), its always at about 78F, and I do 50% bi-weekly water changes and full water change twice a month, parameters are always at a stable 7pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate is 0.8.

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
I feed my good lines of guppys baby brine shrimp and they grow like crazy. Feeding any live food should really help them as long as they can eat it.

evedamnededen

AC Members
Apr 6, 2006
i feed them crushed flakes and crushed up freezedried tubifex worms and boiled egg yolk...where can I get good live food? I don't live near any good LFS, the only stores we have near my school are PetCo's, and I don't want to buy possibly diseased food from them.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Feeding 3 or 4 times a day and increasing the tank temperature can also help them grow a bit faster. Of course with increased feedings, youll need to up water changes.

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
evedamnededen said:
its always at about 78F, and I do 50% bi-weekly water changes and full water change twice a month, parameters are always at a stable 7pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate is 0.8.
Quick question. You do a full water change 2x a month? Doesn't that mess up your cycle?, or throw it into a new cycle twice each month?

jennypenny

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
Athens, Ohio
Chickieepooh2u said:
Quick question. You do a full water change 2x a month? Doesn't that mess up your cycle?, or throw it into a new cycle twice each month?

Changing the water has little to no effect on a cycle. As long as the fliter is not left off for too long a water change (any amount) shouldn't restart a cycle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store