reef equipment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ClownieandBilly

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
Hi folks,i am in the process of setting up a new 100g reef tank and i would like your opinions on my more costly pieces of equipment mainly lights and skimmer ,for starters.I am unsure exactly what type of corals i will be keeping but i do not want to be restricted to a small amount i would like to know if my lighting that i am planning will be adequate to keep most corals successfullyThe tank will be 24"deep (water)

planned lighting = one arcadia unit containing 3x250w metal
halides (14000k) with 2x 58w blue actinic tubes

skimmer =deltec turboskimmer 1250

will these lights be adequate?will this skimmer handle 100g medium stocked(deltec claim that it can handle a heavy stocked 111g system)

BrianH

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Oakland, NJ
photos.yahoo.com
The lighting you mentioned should be fine for all corals. I'm not familiar with deltec skimmers, but I believe they have a good reputation. IMHO the rule of thumb is to usually get a skimmer rated for a larger tank. I would go with a skimmer rated for at least 150 gallons. JMHO

Brian

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
the only thing with the lighting that i can add is that you might want to add 2 VHO tubes in place of the RO bulbs. also with a 14k bulb corals won't grow as well as with a lower degree bulb. the highest i would ever go is a 10k. a good 10k is a comprimise between the blue of actinics and the yellow of daylight (which provides the best growth). the crisp white light is really pretty looking and the 2 VHO actinics will add a little blue color to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store