100% new to marine tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kiwigirl63

Registered Member
Jul 19, 2006
Hi everyone

As my title says I am 100% new to setting up a marine tank and any advice and concerns I need to be aware of would be appreciated. :huh:

I am doing a lot of research and I am now at the stage of knowing what filters I need, water testing, live rocks, protein skimmers etc. But I am sure there are other things I need to be aware of that I havent come across.

I will be setting up the tank for seahorses and companion fish like banded pipefish and shrimps.

I have also seen some posts of sumps - I know idea what they are for.

Any hints and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
IMO i would definetly NOT have your first salt water tank a seahorse tank. They're very difficult to take care of and arent very hardy at all. read the stickys at the top of the forums and do much more research before you take the plunge

Cartman102

Respect my authoritaw!!
Mar 14, 2006
Branson, MO
I'm sure she can have her first saltwater tank a seahorse tank. If she studys a lot and looks up all the info I'm sure it would be no harder than keeping damsels ;) . You will need a skimmer, sump (not needed but are very hardy!), carbon, rocks, sand, ect. Sumps aren't that hard to set up but sometimes can be a pain. Is your tank drilled? I've heard it's much easier to hook up a sump if a tank is drilled and cheaper.

Last edited:

kiwigirl63

Registered Member
Jul 19, 2006
I havent really looked in to sumps yet but I am starting to a bit of reading of them now. My tank isnt drilled as yet.

Cartman102

Respect my authoritaw!!
Mar 14, 2006
Branson, MO
Is your tank empty as of now? If so go and see if your lfs can drill it for you or if you know of anyone that can do it. Try and stay away from overflows since they can get price, over $70.

bukitimah

AC Members
Jul 21, 2006
kiwigirl63,

I am also very new to marine fish keeping, in fact just about to start this hobby. Appreciate if you could share what you have learnt so far so that I can have a jump start.

I am about to purchase a 2 ft x 1 ft tank with standard over head filter. The rest of the stuff, I am waiting for some guide to ensure my fish survive. As a beginer, I am looking at just clown fish, 4 ? nor live coral yet. Understand that is another major subject to study.

kiwigirl63

Registered Member
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks for the info everyone - much appreciated.

bukitimah - my information is very limited at the moment and I am not feeling comfortable yet sharing.

I am going to a workshop tonight that shows how to aquascape correctly and another one in a couple of weeks that is for correct water balances. If you like I will start posting this information on here as of tonight and hopefully you might get some valuable information from this. I am quiet excited about these workshops as I know that I will learn a lot from them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store