Paladarium startup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

frems

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
Hi can anyone help me with what supplies i need to start a paladarium tank? I was also wondering what i could keep in it?

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Sure...but what size are we talking, and what have you envisioned for it, as far as habitat and inhabitants?

frems

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
i was thinking about somewhere around 50g but what would be compatable with what? (i.e turtles with chiclids)

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
50 gallons is going to be pretty small for most turtles and most cichlids, and turtles do not generally mix well with fish, and rather tend to eat them.

Perhaps you should consider something with a faux rock wall in back, bromeliads, Platycerium, Tillandsia, orchids, etc....and some small fish, small shrimp, perhaps a couple of newts, 2 small arboreal geckos, and perhaps a couple of treefrogs or something along that line. You could incorporate an artificial rain system or fogger, and perhaps a small waterfall feature.

hughitt1

Registered Hamster Rancher
Jun 18, 2006
Maryland
en.wikipedia.org
I would decide on what animals you plan to keep before you begin building your setup because different critters like different habitats- dart frogs are happy in a setup with mostly terrain, axolotls and many newts prefers primarily water. So decide which species you want first and then see what their needs are.

I would also reccomend against turtles if you plan to keep fish. frogs and newts may get along, but check on compatability first- many (most) newts are toxic to some degree.

As for the setup, one way would be to use plexiglass and non-toxic aquarium sealant, then a layer of substrate and peat over top for the land parts. I'm working on a setup now using styrofoam covered in a layer primer, aquarium sealant and moss.. the foam is good because you have alot of freedom in what you want to carve, but because it likes to float, it can be difficult to weigh down.

There are some specialty online stores that sell sphagnum and peat moss, as well as different types of plants that would do well in a palludarium setup which might add a nice touch as well.

Let me know what you end up deciding on.. goodluck! :)

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
hughitt1 said:
frogs and newts may get along, but check on compatability first- many (most) newts are toxic to some degree.
All newts are toxic to some degree, but many can co-habitate well with many fish and certain frogs and toads...but never with turtles....arboreal anurians are also safe with newts (assuming smaller newts) as they do not share water with the newts, but one must be careful, as many treefrogs do not swim well.

MDcrinos

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store