what should i get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RENEGADE

the one and only RENEGADE
Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
hi I'm a newbie with a 10 gl FW tank. all i have right now is a Red Claw Crab. I'm looking for a bottom feeder that esay to take care of a won't mind a crab, any ideas?

clayt101

Registered Abuser
!0 gallons really limits the possibilities. I would recommend either an oto or a mystery snail. What part of Louisiana are you from?

RENEGADE

Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
sorry, i'm from Los Angeles CA . will my red claw crab eat the oto?

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
once you add things like crayfish and crabs to your tank fish selection becomes limited,especially bottom feeders. In a 10gal there isn't much room for a fish to hide from the crab and they are even more at risk when they are sleeping and the crab is out patroling around at night.

I used to have a crayfish in my 15gal and all i could keep with it was zebra danios since they were small, fast and cheap so it didn't matter too much if he ate some.

I say if you are going to keep the crab make it a species tank and make the tank the best habitat you can for a crab.(don't know about crabs too much but i think they need salt and a place to get out of hte water)

RENEGADE

Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
your right about get him out of water, i almost killed him not having something for him to climb. i fixed that. i got a chinese algae eater and he seems to be fine with the crab. i heard that crabs are agressive(sp) but mine seems protective of the fish: protroling(sp), geting on the plant and looking around. the fish haven't been shy and the crab just moves out of the way. one of my fish(i don't know what he is but hes about 3in and clear, really clear) moved in the cave(very small) for the crab and the crab didn't mind(!!!!????)

ryan

Finder, Filleter, and Fryer of Nemo
Aug 20, 2002
Fort Wayne, Indiana
i have a blue crayfish in 10 gallon with 5 (was 6, but he must have snagged one) white cloud minnows and 2 ramshorn snails (plus a handful of other smaller snails who just kind of appeared one day). tank has a lot of current though (eclipse filter/hood thing and a small powerhead with sponge) to simulate a stream, so maybe with all the current he cant catch the fish as easily.

ryan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store