What's the largest single fish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
What's the largest single fish I could stick in a 29 gal that is in the cichlidae family???? I have heard of ppl getting oscars for this size of tank. Is growth stuntig actually harmful??? Please let me know!! Reason why I am asking is because my firemouths won;t leave each other alone and I am afraid I'll lose them both. Believe me, I have hinding places galore!!! Again, thanks!!

ilovewigwams

AC Members
Jun 3, 2002
Visit site
Maybe a single firemouth. A 4-5" fish is about as big you can get in a 29. Make sure your two firemouths are male & female. From the fighting it sounds like 2 males.

Bolo Frumblefoot

wasn't in the theme song
Oct 11, 2000
Newark, Ohio
Well with the inch-per-gallon rule I think you could put a 29" fish in there...Just kidding! don't kill me mods!

I think your solution would be a true target fish. Something that can move quick enough of take a beating, to distract the fish. I think in a tank that size a juvenile pleco (probably a bad idea since they just keep growing)or a small school of 4-5 giant danios or some other fast hardy schooling fish.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Dont get an Oscar..that tank is way too small...even for your 2 firemouths, hense all the fighting...if you are planning on having just one cichlid in there, then either keep your favorite firemouth, or maybe get a convict....that tank really isnt big enough for two med sized cichlids, unless you plan on breeding them and they are the only fish in the tank.

Evil Dave

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
A single Salvini could work. If you're really feeling adventurous, you could try a single jack, but that might be a bit small of a tank for one.

STUNNA

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
sbsc.biz
A male convict would be great for a 29 gallon(you could try a pair, but be prepaired for the death of the female). A group of 2-3 blood parrots would most likely work well too. In my experience, blood parrots stay under 4.5" and are relatively peaceful. A pair of kribs would be a good choice too. I hate to say it, but most of the c.a., s.a., and african cichlids that have a lot of popularity and are model cichlids(big, territorial, intelligent, diggers) get too big for a 29 gallon. I did have a jack dempsey, a firemouth, and a blood parrot in a 30 gallon for over 2 years a while ago. I changed 20% of the water weekly though. The key for small tanks is good maintenance. goodluck

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Thanks for the help, but I found out the tank is a freakin 20 gallon instead of a 29 gallon. Read my "I have just been misinformed" thread. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store