need advise on a new 125 gal, 1/2 planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hmt321

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
hello all,
Let me start off by saying that the responces i have gotten from this forum have helped tremendously, and have allowed me to educate myself about aquatic plants and there needs, I have tried to read books on the subject and i have often come away with questions, I would not have planted this new tank with out the help i recieved on my smaller 40 gal (which by the way is comming along nicly).

ok, i have set up a 125 gal tank at my office here are specs:

125 gal
1400 gph rated overflow from here (http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html

8 gals of 1" bio balls in two 5 gal buckets
a mag 12 (for return pump, please note that to acheive the 1100 gph you need to pump the return line with 1.5" pvc, i split out of the 1.5 a foot up into two 1" pipes, I still have 2 throttle it down with ball valves, so i doubt if i am getting 1400 gph out of the life reef)

I have 2" of florite under 1"-1.5" of pee gravel.
i have 302 watts of light over the tank

please note that i did not plant the whole tank here is my planting layout

I have constructed a hood that has lights only over the planted areas.

I planted 50 jungle vals (bigones)
lugwigg
Bacopa amplexicaualis
Lysimachia nummularia

and i few other i cant remember right now

I filled and planted it tonight, here is what i dosed

KNO3 1 1/8 tsp 2x per week
fleets 12 drops 2x per week
cal 3 tsp 3x per week
mg (epsom) 2 tsp 3X per week

starting tommarrow i will dose 15 ml of plantex 6x per week
I dosed 60 ml of excell (as per instructions)
and i will dose 10 ml every other day

(i will be putting some water sprite and hopefully some waterlettuce in tommarrow)
I am also doing a fishless cycle useing aqua-ammoina
i am sitting slightly higher than 4 ppm

I was tired when i thought this through, (also my plants arrived today instead of mon like i have requested)

question:

do these doses look ok, keep in mind i would say that only about 60% of the tank is planted.

how will the fishless cycle affect the plants??? ( i think it would be fine because i am not dosing nitrate) would the ammonia take place of the nitrate?

also i counted 14 drops of water to 1 ml, is this close to a standard?? ( i droped it out 3 times and came up with 14 twice and 15 once) this would make doseing the fleets easer.

thanks a ton, i will post a pict of the new tank tommorow so you can see how it is planted

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
1. You have ALOT of light. The WPG rule usually doesn't work for large tanks over 90g and you can go with less light for the plants that you've chosen, you can probably drop 100w. Right now I consider your tank high light.

2. Dosing plantex the entire week with the exception of water change day may be a bit much. reduce that to 3 or 4 times a week. Also consider some additional K ferts.

3. Plants will mess up the test results for a fishless cycle, you may have a hard time detecting anything if they're healthy and growing. I recommend waiting a week for the plants to grow and then add a small amount of fish slowly (a fishy cycle). The plants should absorb most if not all of the hazardous nutrients.

4. 14 drops per ml sounds about right.

hmt321

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
ok thanks for the advise

I would guess that if i can add 1ppm ammonia and it is not testing showing up on any tests (ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate) i could add the fish.

thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store