Help required for complete beginner - please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jammy

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Hi,

I have just got a tank (125 litre = 27.5 gallon) for my 13th birthday. I have it filled with water, filter, lights, heater, some pirate stuff, a couple fo plastic plants and one plant attached to a piece of bogwood. All recommended by the shop! It has now been running for three weeks and I think I am ready for fish.

I would like some Bristlenose Catfish, Corydoras and Siamese Fighting Fish - which is what I wanted the tank set up for.

I can't find any good advice on what order to put the fish in and what other fish I could have to complement these. The books I have seem to contradict each other.

I already have algae growing because it has been so warm.

My Dad said we could ask in the shop but we are afraid that the shop will only tell us to buy what they want to sell.

Any help would be great !!!!!!!!

Thanx!

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Hi and welcome to the hobby. The first thing you want to read up on is cycling the tank. The purpose of cycling is to build up a bacteria base responsible for breaking down fish urine in order to render it non toxic. Without this bacteria the fish will literly poison themselves.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64301 is a very detailed article on this cycling process. Pick a method in there (I reccommend fishless) and cycle the tank. For fish if you choose a Siamese Fighting Fish, you can only have one in the tank (if you have a male) since they will kill each other if you have more than one. I would reccommend a school of 9 Tiger Barbs if you want some action. Tiger Barbs tend to fight each other and it is fun to watch.

jammy

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Thanks. I think the tank has cycled. We put some quick start bacteria in a couple of weeks ago and had the water tested a week ago. The shop said the water was fine.

Which fish can I put in first?

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Yes, you need to plan on how your going to cycle the new tank. You can do fishless cycle or get a few hardy fish. It will take 6 to 8 weeks to complete the cycle with fish. I have never personaly done a fishless cycle. When your cycled you can get Corys and one Bristlenose as they are territorial.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
jammy, i'm afraid you don't understand what cycling is.

in your water already are bacteria. these are good bacteria, but they are in VERY small quantities. these bacteria eat up deadly ammonia and nitrite from fish waste and decaying plant matter and food and turn them into much less harmful nitrAtes. but these bacteria will not begin to grow a colony (at least 90% of the colony will be in the sponges in your filter) unless they have food, which is ammonia.

so unless you have fish in the tank producing ammonia from their pee, or are dosing bottled ammonia, you do not have a cycled tank. the bacteria suppliment you added, even if it had been viable when you added it, is now dead because it had no food.

the best route to go would be to go to walmart and look in the cleaning aisle. there you should be able to find a bottle of "clear ammonia" and it should contain NOTHING but "Water, ammonia, chelating agent" anything else will kill your fish when you put them in.

you also will need a test kit. everyone here will reccomend you get a liquid test kit. they are more accurate, and last about 10 times longer than those little dip strips. http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1133632283063 go to the above link, print out that page, and go to your local petsmart and have them price match the "Aquarium Pharmaseuticals freshwater master test kit" it is about $25 in the store, so that will save you about $10.

now, once you have the ammonia, and the test kit, start adding ammonia a TEENY bit at a time. i would add just about 10 drops with a dropper of some kind, let the tank run for about 15 minutes, then test with the ammonia test.

keep adding ammonia until you reach a level of 3ppm ammonia.

then you wait. keep testing the ammonia and the nitrites until you start to see the ammonia drop, and the nitrites rise. this means that the first kind of nitrifying bacteria are beginning to form their colony. when the ammonia drops below 2ppm, start adding a little bit of ammonia to keep it somewhere between 2 and 3ppm. keep testing and monitoring. if the nitrite starts getting too high, you can do a partial water change to keep the nitrite below 5ppm. keep dosing ammonia.

then you will see the nitrite start to drop. this means the second type of bacteria are beginning to form. the first kind processes ammonia into nitrite, and the second kind processes nitrite into nitrAte.

nitrate is the end of your cycle. when you can dose ammonia up to 2ppm and it is gone within 24 hours, and there is 0 nitrite as well, your cycle is finished. do a large water change to get the nitrAte below 20ppm (nitrate should always be kept below 20ppm through regular weekly water changes) and add your full stock of fish all at once.

once your cycle is finshed, DO NOT replace the sponges in your filter. depending on what kind of filter you have, it should have two different kinds of sponges. one is "mechanical" filtration which removes larger particles and debris from the water, and the other is a biological filter sponge where the bacteria colonize. you can replace the mechanical filtration as often as you want, but do not ever wash or throw out the biological filtration or you will have to start your cycle over.

the process described above is called "fishless cycling" and is much more humane than using cheap hardy "throw away" fish to cycle a tank. because there are no fish in the tank, it doesn't harm any, and when you finally do add your fish, you can be assured that they won't be stressed from ammonia and nitrite spikes that can cause permanent damage to their gills and immune system.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
oh yeah, siamese fighting fish (betta) cannot be housed together. you can only have one per tank. probably your best bet would be one betta, about 4-6 corydoras, a single bristlenose, and a school of tetras, rasboras, or whiteclouds. any small tetra that stays 1.5" or smaller (neons, cardinals, silvertips, glolights, head and tail lights, etc.) or something like harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, whiteclouds, etc. would be fine. you should be able to fit about 8-10 of them in a 27g.

myfishandi

AC Members
Jul 11, 2006
jammy said:
Thanks. I think the tank has cycled. We put some quick start bacteria in a couple of weeks ago and had the water tested a week ago. The shop said the water was fine.

Which fish can I put in first?
OK, first things first.

Whoever told you adding "bacteria" to the water and letting it sit for a few weeks is wrong, plain and simple.

Reading the above link about how the nitrogen cycle works and how to get your bacteria colonies established is a must before going any further!
Your fish will likely die if you dont follow those step by step procedures.

You must get a test kit that tests for at least Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

The store you mention that tested the water will of course say the water is "fine" because you have no fish in the tank to introduce ammomia so that bacteria can eliminate it.

Everyone here is very knowlegable and willing to help, dont listen to the store 'salespeople'. They are just that, salespeople (most anyway) and benefit by the sale of fish, Cycle (and other bacteria in a bottle nonsense) as well as chemicals to heal the fish once they start getting sick from they're bad tank startup advise to you.

Good luck and feel free to post any questions you have here.

Fish keeping is an enjoyable hobby when done right, when fish become ill and die is when it becomes a chore to maintain.

jammy

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
ok - I think I understand about the bacteria and ammonia. I have some test strips which will tell me how much there is in the water (ammonia) and some other things as well.

Once this is done I can add fish - although I really really want some fish now !!

What fish can I plan on putting in first? At least I can look forward to this!

myfishandi

AC Members
Jul 11, 2006
jammy said:
ok - I think I understand about the bacteria and ammonia. I have some test strips which will tell me how much there is in the water (ammonia) and some other things as well.

Once this is done I can add fish - although I really really want some fish now !!

What fish can I plan on putting in first? At least I can look forward to this!
Did you read that article titled "Cycling a tank"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store