Tadpole help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
i was recently at a summer camp and while we were doing community service i picked up a bottle that had about seven tadpoles in it. i had no clue were they had come from or how long they had been there the nerest water source was a fast paced river. so i brought them home and put them in my empty 5g. ive been reading about these little creatures and was just wondering what anyone here thinks.....i know these are not fish but i might as well try here....

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
ReefRaft said:
i was recently at a summer camp and while we were doing community service i picked up a bottle that had about seven tadpoles in it. i had no clue were they had come from or how long they had been there the nerest water source was a fast paced river. so i brought them home and put them in my empty 5g. ive been reading about these little creatures and was just wondering what anyone here thinks.....i know these are not fish but i might as well try here....
Hey tadpoles make great pets. What kind of help do you need?
Plus what do the look like? can you post a picture of them. So many different types of amphibians are out there. So if you can post a more detailed description, maybe I can help.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
they do well on a diet of sinking fish food.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Some are carnivores, some herbivores, some omnivores....you will need to find you what yours are via trial and error. Water-quality is also important,m as well as access to dry land once they start sprouting front legs.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
when i was younger i used to catch tadpoles at the nearby lake and bring them home. like tricksterpup said we need a good description or some pics to help ID them.

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
i have no clue what type they are because once again i dont were they came from. and ive tried frozen lettuce bloddworms and ill try some shrimp pellts here in a sec

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
ReefRaft said:
i have no clue what type they are because once again i dont were they came from. and ive tried frozen lettuce bloddworms and ill try some shrimp pellts here in a sec
I don't understand this?
What state are you from? What location in that state did you find them? Northern part? Southern? East corner??
Plus what do they look like? Describe them please so we can help you. Doing what you are doing isn't helping them. Random guessing at their food isnt feeding them a proper diet.
So please answer the following questions.
How big are they?
color?
Do they have legs yet?

podheadx

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Appleton Wisconsin
Ive reared a couple types of tadpoles before and found that they are not picky eaters, boiled letuce, fish flakes, newt bites, shrimp pellets, algae disks, and then they eat eachother if they die.
The higher your water temp the faster their metabolism and more they need to eat, therefore they turn to frogs faster, but don't try to speed up the process because they get deformed (like quick growing farm chicken feet do) if they grow too fast.
I also noticed that you need to do water changes a little more frequently than fish but BEWARE when you replace the water you took out do it SLOW. For instance if it was a 10 g and you removed 2 gal let it take you an hour to replace all 2 gal. Ive killed the whole stock by doing quick water changes, and more than once so go slow. (They can live in some pretty bad water but they cant handle a quick change in water chemistry)

But im intrested too, what state do they come from, what type of ecosystem was it (woods,swamp, field) lets figure out what you got.

If you found them in a small container that rules out Bull frogs and Green frogs because they only lay in permement sp? water (unless some one put them in that container, they probably did) but other frogs are known to lay their eggs in temperary spring pools where its a race for the tads to grow b4 the pool dries.

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
tricksterpup said:
I don't understand this?
What state are you from? What location in that state did you find them? Northern part? Southern? East corner??
Plus what do they look like? Describe them please so we can help you. Doing what you are doing isn't helping them. Random guessing at their food isnt feeding them a proper diet.
So please answer the following questions.
How big are they?
color?
Do they have legs yet?
soory tricksterpup um i was neer lake monrowe(dont no how to spell) in Indiana they were just laying there in a mnt D botttle so i thought i could help them. no they dont have legs. they are pretty small id say about the size of a pea and they are a brownish color with black spots all over they body and tails

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
podheadx said:
)

(unless some one put them in that container, they probably did) .
yes they caught them and put them in there cause the lid was closed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store