Browm Algae Eaters for 20's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Ok I have done some tank movements and have everything setup as I want it but I have alot of brown algae in my 20H. I have 6 pepper cories in it but they don't do anything for the algae. I have a couple live plants and a few other fish in the tank. Is there anything I can put in there to keep the brown stuff down to a min. I am looking for a type of fish to add. I think it has a lot to do with my tap water so I know there will most likely be a steady amount of it in the tanks. I also have a 20L but no bottome feeders so what would be good for that one. My water is very hard and has a higher pH so I would be looking for something that can handle the prams. You can look below to see what fish I have and were.

20H
2 Bleeding Heart Tetras
4 Pristella Tetras
1 Painted Glassfish
6 Pepper Cory

20L
1 Fancey Male Guppy
4 Gold Barbs
6 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Cherry Barbs

I am looking for something that can be kept single and not need to be in a group and will go good with the other fish. I only have problems with brown algae but do have algae wafers that I will add if needed.

I also wanted to add that I do water changes every week. I do what I am supposed to to keep up with the tanks but I still cannot get rid of the brown algae. I really enjoy my cories but as stated before they don't tend to eat the brown stuff. I also want it to be know that I do enjot the bottom feeders that I do have and don't want everyone to think this is the only reason I have them. I don't have a problem with the algae on the glass just on the plants and decor in the tank. Not sure as to why it is only in them areas and not all over. Thanks

Last edited:

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
All new tanks go through the brown algae cycle. You don't need to add anything, it'll eventually disappear on its own. If it gets on the glass and bothering you then buy an algae scrub pad.

They're called diatoms, google them or do a search on the site. Just think of it as Part 2 of your cycle, Part 1 being the ammonia -> nitrate cycle.

Its a bad idea to add fish to take care of a problem when it can take care of itself. Adding fish to do the job is no different than adding chemicals to do a job IMO.

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Hello and thanks. The thing is, is my tank has been up for about 6 months now so it is fully cycled. I was waiting to see if it would go away but it just gets worse. I have really hard and high pH water and heard that this can play into it. I do weekly water changes and cleanings but it just comes back. I put in a couple live plants and this still does not help. I don't have any direct sunlight hitting the tank but I do keep the light on for about 10 hours a day for the plants. My water levels are all stable and well within range of what they should be. Nothing is on the glass it is only on the plants and decor that is in the tank. I have to Penguin 660R units with the prefilter and clean one each week with the water that is drained from the tank. The powerheads are connected to a RUGF system.

I really enjoy my cories and have seen a few different bottom/algae eaters but didn't know what type would be best for the brown algae. I do want another bottom fish but figured that I might as well get one that will eat the brown algae and take care of 2 things at once. I was looking to get one that is alittle less active as the cories are pretty active. I don't have a major problem yet in the 20L but figure I will as I use the same tap to fill the tanks. I had the 10g setup for about 1 1/2 months but it was setup for almost 7 months at a friends before I got it. I then simply upgraded it to the 20L. I used everything from the 10 and put it in the new 20.

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
bristlenose "should" eat brown algae. They may not go after it first, but they'll eat it when the green stuff is gone. That has been my experience, anyway. Try to get small, tank-raised fish if you can since those do a better job.

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Thanks you for the reply. The weird thing is I have no green algae. It is only the brown stuff. Will the BN be fine with some pepper cories or will there be problems with them mixing? Thanks.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
If its diatoms, try increasing the light. Either more of it or on for longer.

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
I am not able to increase the lighting at the moment but I do already leave the light on for about 10 hours a day. I don't want to over do it as I do have some live plants in the tank. I think it has to do with my tap so I may either start getting RO water or get some Oto's or a BN for my tank. Thanks for the replies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store