# of gallons - tank dimensions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
18" wide, 24"deep, 48"long

how many gallons? wasnt there a thread here recently about calculating gallons? i scanned through a minute ago, but didnt see it. thanks

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Nominal volume in US gallons is (all in inches) depth x height x length divided by 231 (cubic inches per gallon). So the quoted 90 gallons is right.

But that nominal volume, like manufacturer's nominal volume, is way overestimated. It uses outside dimensions and majes no allowances for gravel rosks, etc or even anything less than filled to the overflow point.

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
RTR -

So, when planning how many fish will work with your aquarium, should you use the rated volume or the actual volume? Using your calculations, my newly purchased 100 gallon is really a 94 gallon.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Not a shock, Heady. The 55s (nominal manufacturer volume) measure by outside dimensions at ~56 gallons, but actually hold less than 50. Measured volumes at setup for me is about 41 gallons. My 29 actually holds 21 gallons. (I use fairly deep substrates for planted tanks).

But all the rules of thumb are based on the manufacturer's nominal volume, so how you stock is personal choice. I stock lightly (less than 1" - using standard length- of adult fish per gallon of nominal tank water). I do that because is sooo much easier to maintain good water parameters a bit understocked than overstocked.

Part of stocking also depends on the particular fish you keep - the rules of thumb really refer to small slender-bodied fish less than 3" long - meaning most small schooling fish like Tetras, small Rasboras, etc. Beyond that you have to judge by the the fish themselves - Barbs tend to be hyper, so I allow them more space. Rainbows are very active also, so get more space. My puffers are usually kept alone, but are as messy as Goldfish and Oscars, so get loads of space.

With current filtration you can keep much more than the rules of thumb "allow", but the maintenance and uninterrupted power become critical and even more important. I like to give myself a bit more margin.

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
RTR, yes I keep my tanks a little understocked as well, but I am also not an overfiltration nut. Powerhead-UGF only in my 55 and a single Aquaclear 150 on my 29. However all this is changing - since I came here I guess I've become a little tainted. I am leaving right now to pick up my new Eheim 2213 for my 29 and my Eheim 2028 for my new, yet-to-be-set-up 100.

With all this extra filtration I'm wondering how far I can push the limits yet remain safe in case of power outages.

The 55 (soon to be changed to the 100) contains 3 balas, 2 giant danios, and a 12" pleco. (The other 5 fish are currently about 4-5" long.) I'm pretty sure I can put quite a bit more fish in my new 100 but I'm not sure where to draw the line, especially considering the future adult size of the balas. Any advice?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Heady - I don't do communities so I'm not the best to ask on mixed stocking and compatabilities. One tank of 24 is community - the one I just moved home from the office, otherwise it would not be either. And it has only 4 species of fish, including the SAE, plus two species of shrimp. As tanks open up at home I'll doubtless move out all but one or two fish species.

LOL at being tainted! It is not that bad a thing, it increase my comfort/security level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store