Fluval 405 or Rena XP3???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

runningforyou

Registered Member
Jul 24, 2006
I have (had) a Fluval 403 I bought 5+ years ago and I have been very happy with it, but had a power outage yesterday, and it stopped working. I have taken it apart and put it back together, plug it in, and still no sound from the motor. I'm pretty sure it's dead. So time for new canister. It appears both the 405 and XP3 have gotten praise, but the Rena XP3 is cheaper. I also have a pair of Powerhead 802s for water movement. What is your recommendation on which canister and why? I am looking something that has been as quite as my old 403 (couldn't hear it with the cabinet doors closed). Thank you for your input.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
when i just setup my new 405 i had to touch it to make sure it was on. definitely go with fluval. the 05 internal layout is completely different than the 03. i would cram as much filter floss in the bottom two trays as you can, fill the second from top tray with carbon, and fill the top tray with the bio media they give you. this will give you the best media layout i have figured otu so far. the crammed filter floss functions as a very fine mechanical media keeping water crystal clear. i like the 05s so much im getting a second one this week.

Grundy

"A Buckeye Behind Enemy Lines"
Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
I ahve never used the XP3 but got a Fluval 305 last month with no problems - very quiet also.

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
i have a 404 and its real quiet and easy to use. I too put filter floss in my first two caskets with biomedia through the rest of the thing and its kept my water crystal clear so far ...

i heard things broke easy or blah blah blah but my kit is good.

runningforyou

Registered Member
Jul 24, 2006
I just purchased a new Rena Filstar XP3 to replace my Fluval 403. Start up was a breeze and directions seem clear. It appears that it will be easier to restart than my old Fluval after each maintenance. The noise level is practically none existent, as even my wife commented that she didn't know if it was on or not. Hopefully this filter suits the need of my 120 gallons. Thanks to all for the input. Oh, by the way, I printed out Dr. Foster's onlice price of $89.99 and went to my local PetSmart and they matched the price. PetSmart had thiers for $179.99. PetSmart did not even hesitate to sell it to me for $89.99.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
petsmart would do that for the fluvals too. remember that whatever a filter claims it can handle is really about double what it can actually handle. the new fluvals are extremely easy or start.

Lorazoo

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Deerfield Beach, Florida
runningforyou said:
I just purchased a new Rena Filstar XP3 to replace my Fluval 403. Start up was a breeze and directions seem clear. It appears that it will be easier to restart than my old Fluval after each maintenance. The noise level is practically none existent, as even my wife commented that she didn't know if it was on or not. Hopefully this filter suits the need of my 120 gallons. Thanks to all for the input. Oh, by the way, I printed out Dr. Foster's onlice price of $89.99 and went to my local PetSmart and they matched the price. PetSmart had thiers for $179.99. PetSmart did not even hesitate to sell it to me for $89.99.
I knew Petsmart would honor their online prices, but didnt know they would honor anothers. I will have to print it out. I have a 129 with an XP3. I have been feeling like I need another filter, so I was going to get another XP3. My water just isnt crystal clear. I have it heavily planted and it is pretty stocked. Unfortunately, none of the canister filters eemed like they would be big enough on their own with this sized tank. Would getting 2 be bad? Should I get an XP2? I figured if the flow is too much with both i would just reduce it.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
if you are going to buy another filter go for the bigger one. they arent that much more and you may need the extra filtration at some point. again, i would go with a fluval 405, but if you use a rena and want to stick with them thats your choice. petsmart has a price guarantee and apparently it covers all prices. the new fluval FX5 goes "up to" 400 gallons, so it could have handled your 129 no problem.

Lorazoo

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Deerfield Beach, Florida
well, never knew that one existed. the largest fluval i saw said it was rated for 100 gallons and under.

Just an addition. I just looked for this Fluval X5. Can't find it anywhere. Guess its so new, no one is carrying it yet.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store