Paludarium Setup - Feedback!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mercsoulja

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
I currently have a 20g high planted and the planted tank isn't for me. I've always wanted to do a half/half tank.. so i've done a lot of research and i've been planning the tank ever since.. here's what i have so far, let me know what you think (very rough sketches)

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
What do you have planned for inhabitants?
I like the look! One idea...have you thought about inverting the plexiglas to angle down to the right side of the tank against the right back corner, rather than up against the back wall angled down towards the front? If you switch it you would only have to put in one crate wall because the down-ward angel to the right would hold the gravel in place easier without two restraining walls. Plus, you would now have usable swimming space under the angled plexiglass that you could turn into a cave or something for fish instead of that closed-up, unusable space with the two walls. Does this make sense? Hopefully you can visualize it! :eek:

mercsoulja

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
I'm not sure about inhabitants, i was thinking maybe a betta or another fish that can tolerate room temp water. I was going to maybe go with a newt because i heard they are a bit easier to maintain than a fire bellied toad. Any suggestions???

One idea...have you thought about inverting the plexiglas to angle down to the right side of the tank against the right back corner, rather than up against the back wall angled down towards the front? If you switch it you would only have to put in one crate wall because the down-ward angel to the right would hold the gravel in place easier without two restraining walls. Plus, you would now have usable swimming space under the angled plexiglass that you could turn into a cave or something for fish instead of that closed-up, unusable space with the two walls.
I can visualize that, that's a real cool idea actually. The only problem i'd see is that if you look in the third picture of the profile view of the land--which is how it would be in your description (right?). that gravel and stuff can fall out the side... so i would have to use a triangular piece to stop that from happening. Also, i would be worried a bit with cleaning under that cave. it might be sort of a pain.. Any suggestions though may help! Sounds like a neat idea :)

Rowangel

Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
The only problem i'd see is that if you look in the third picture of the profile view of the land--which is how it would be in your description (right?). that gravel and stuff can fall out the side... so i would have to use a triangular piece to stop that from happening. Also, i would be worried a bit with cleaning under that cave. it might be sort of a pain.. Any suggestions though may help! Sounds like a neat idea :)
Not if your keeping it in the back, right corner with the angel to the wall…If the plexiglass is up against the back wall, angled down to the right, against the right wall, than the only part that will need a restraining wall would be in the front, because the back wall is holding in the back side, and your creating a V with your down angle against the right wall. Then you have an ‘open’ cave to the left of the plexiglass, something very easy to clean and get to…make more sense now?

mercsoulja

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
You mean something like this? the blue is the other "barrier" plexi piece. The reason i was angling the plexi *towards the water is if some water got onto the land part, it would drain into the water... in this case, it would be sitting against the glass. I do like the idea though

any suggestions about inhabitants?

Rowangel

Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
Yup, that is what I was thinking. If you stick with the egg crate as the retaining wall, water should still be able to drain off the land as needed. You could even cover the wall with java moss to hide the pattern. Java moss is easy to keep and would look nice. But either set-up would work well, just a matter of what is best for you and is the easiest to maintain. ;)

As for tank inhabitants I would look into salamanders, newts, or frogs as possible options. I understand some of these either eat or would poison any fish in the tank, so just check them out first. Hopefully someone else can give more ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store