Oscar and Bichir??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
I noticed on the page that Bichir can be with similar tempermant fish, and i have a 100 that will soon only have an 6 inch oscar, would it be okay to get a 5-7 inch Senegalus ( I think! ) Bichir?
They are so adorable. I'm just curious. I keep the tank meticulously clean, and feed them beef heart and hearty foods like that. Is it possible? My oscar is pretty picky with foods, and is kinda aggresive...if not, oh well :)

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
Hi Allison

Yeah I love both oscars and bichers. The oscar will swiftly outrun the bicher in growth, I don't think I'd try it if it were me.

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
If your oscar is anything like mine... It would probably end up eating the bichir.

I put a 2.5 inch and 3 inch crayfish in the tank today to help with left over food. My oscar devoured the 2.5"er and is now harrassing the rock the 3"er is under. The guy eats everything I put in the tank. Including smaller feeders meant for the tiger shovelnose. He's about 5-6 inches now. He's grown very fast since I got him.

iloveoddballs

Registered Member
Feb 22, 2013
I've had two bichirs living with my oscar for close to two years. If you have a big enough tank for your oscar to have his own territory they'll be just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store