36 Gallon Bowfront - Too Much Current ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikej2244

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
I have a recently setup a 36 Gallon Bowfront for a planted community system. I have always been a fan of overfiltration in my tanks but I think I may have overdone it this time.

The tank is has a Cascade 1000 GPH (no flow adjustment) canister filter in it and a spray bar setup for the return. As you can see from the top of the water there is alot of current. The plants actually seem to do fine and are not moving much where they are, however, the tetras I have in there, ALL stay in the back right corner near the filter intake tube. I assume because the current in front of the tank is too strong? They all pile up back there as you can see in the second pic and don't venture out much.

I suppose I could turn the spraybar such that the holes face DOWN and the current will run down the back of the tank instead of the front, but that would seem to negate some of the filtration since the filter uptake is back there too. More hols in the spraybar? Bigger holes? Or am I off in assuming it is current and they just need more time to adjust. The fish have only been in there a week or so.

mikej2244

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Hang on...Oops, the Cascade 1000 is flowing 265 GPH, not 1000. It says good for up to 100 Gallon Tanks. So it should filter my entire tank just under 7.5 times per hour.

That does not seem like overkill...I will give these fish a few more weeks to get used to surrounding, maybe add some more rocks and hiding places, and see where she goes.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
oh lol because i was about to say... lol
now that you tell me that its perfect lol
you know i have some limits when it comes to filters for my tanks, and they are- the filter has to cycle the water more then 5 but less than 10-12 times per hour, so you are right in the middle :)

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
no, 7.5 times per hour is definitely not overkill. i usually aim for 10X. from your picture, also, your fishies seem just fine. as long as they're not swimming hard to fight the current, or being blown around, they're great.

a lot of aquarists prefer over-filtration rather than under. the cutoff, though, is when it starts to affect your fish. if you have plants, too, of course you'd have to make sure their stems and leaves aren't being ripped apart :)
your Rotala indica would probably be the most susceptible to that, with its thin leaves, and it looks just dandy.

Last edited:

mikej2244

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Just an update, I was at the LFS 3 days ago and they had some excellent looking white clouds, so I could not resist. Bought 7 of them and introduced them into the tank. It was like a shot of adrenaline for the other guys. Instantly everyone came out of the corner and now all the tetras are traveling all over the tank, and all is good. Water current is NOT a problem. Wild how a few other fish can affect a tanks inmates, er, I mean occupants.

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
White clouds are very underrated, I think. They are colorful, active and hardy and can be put in smaller tanks with a large range of temps and ph. I'm wanting to put up a 10g with just White clouds and a few bottom feeders.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
mikej2244 said:
Instantly everyone came out of the corner and now all the tetras are traveling all over the tank, and all is good. Wild how a few other fish can affect a tanks inmates, er, I mean occupants.
Yup, sometimes all you need is the correct "fishy feng-shui" and the dynamics between all your occupants will shine! Good work and good luck.

BTW, I had 7 white clouds, too, and they started to get really randy and started spawning. I couldn't stand it (it grossed me out) so I had to give 4 away. They are VERY hardy fish, as said before, and they survived my mistake of not cycling (toxic ammonia levels) AND a simultaneous bout of ich, and are still going strong after 3 and 1/2 years!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store