Help with Prolonged Case of Ick!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TBA

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
I've got a 75 gallon tank with about 10 small (1.5-3.0") african cichlids. They started flashing (scrape against the gravel, rocks, etc.) about three weeks ago and I started treating about 15 days ago when I noticed one white spot on a copadichromis borleyi. The tank is filtered by a Emporer 400 that I took the carbon out of during treatment. I initially left the temperature around 78 deg. F for the first 10 days of treatment. None of the other cichlids ever got any other white spots, however about half of them still continue to flash .

I decided to raise the temperature about 5 days ago and added some acquarium salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) after reading this may help speed up the treatment process. The current temp. is 82 deg. F. however I'm starting to wonder if I'm making a dent in the problem. I treat the tank each day per the directions (1 teaspoon per 10 gallons) and do about a 30-50% water change daily. I discontinued making up the salt in the changed water since I wasn't that convinced it was really helping.

I was wondering if there's something else I should try or whether I should try discontinuing treatment since I haven't seen any white spots in so long? Obviously somethings still bothering some of the fish that's causing them to flash but I'm wondering if its not the ick?

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
I read on another board that Africans will normally scratch themselves. Whether it's actually true or not, I don't know. Occassionally, one of mine will scratch against a rock and they have done this with salt and without salt in their tank. They've always done this and all are healthy and eating fine so I tend to think it is normal.
Are your Africans clamping their fins or breathing abnormally along with the scratching?

bobbdd

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
I think you should stop treating for ich. It is quite normal for fish to flash or scratch, to some degree. And ich is usually quite responsive to the variety of medications on the market. And, you see no white spots (or other signs of illness on the fish) Maybe you need to get the meds out of the water and see how they do.

Nighthawk

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
The Nether Regions
Visit site
If the fish have ick they will look as if they've been sprinkled with salt. Raising the temperature and adding salt as you did will kill it. I've never done water changes while treating for ick with salt. I just add the salt and leave it in for 3-4 weeks checking to make sure all the white spots are gone. Then I begin my normal water changes without the salt. This has worked for me for 17 years.

ThorinMan

AC Members
Jan 15, 2003
San Diego California
Visit site
If they do have ick which i am not sure they do. But if you see the spots and the ick isnt going away you can cut the treatment in half and do a half dose in the morning and a half dose at night. Or when i have a bad case the Rid-Ick which i use cuz i have scaleless fish, says that you can do a full does twice a day 12 hours apart. Hope the fish turn out well.

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
I have noticed the majority of my ick cases on new fish which I believe is due to the stress of being caught , transported and put into a new environment. IOW ick can be around without being visual as long as the fish are in good health.

The one treatment that has worked for me (almost no losses and quick cure) is RidIck.

gidget21

AC Members
Mar 24, 2003
Visit site
ummm i wouldn't treat them anymore the scratching actually may be the male trying to mate when the hit maturity they will dig up the substrae and shake their body violently around (which could appear to be scratching) mine do it at my stroe because my male is want ing to mate. also he will lead the female into his corner and shake violently in front of her to mate with her that may be your problem which heck isn't a problem at all!!! if you notice a female is not eating at all nad her throat get swelled chances are you are in for babies. but i highly doubt it is ick. doesn't sound like it to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store