Seachem's Flourite

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beckham0237

AC Members
Jun 29, 2006
Hey, does anyone know If i need to rinse seachems flourite substarte before putting it into the tank?

tetramoon13

AC Members
Jun 14, 2006
Milton, NH
I just bought a bag of that myself, and I would definitely advise you to rinse it beforehand. I used a pasta strainer that I didn't mind getting dirty, with the holes not too big, and rinsed it in batches with the garden hose, until the water ran clear.

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
Flourite Rinsing

You guys work way too hard.

Rinsing Flourite before putting into the tank is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. The stuff comes wet. Anything it touches will have Flourite mud all over it. Like your clothes. Or your carpet. The only place you want to open a bag of Flourite is INSIDE YOUR AQUARIUM.

2. Rinsing is hard work! I'm lazy!

Here's what I did on my new 75g.

1. Put unopened bag of Flourite in aquarium. Cut open. Pour out of bag. Discard bag. Repeat.

2. Partially fill tank with Python. This thing is a godsend! I would not have a big tank without one!

3. Stir up the Flourite to muddy water as much as possible.

4. Drain tank with Python. Have the water empty out into your lawn. The dust is powdered Flourite produced by friction from shipping. You paid for it - don't waste it.

5. Repeat if and as necessary (i.e. until you can't cloud up the water any more).

Used a lot of water but sure saved my time and back!

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
You have to rinse flourite a LOT--it doesn't come wet--it ought to be dry. I wouldn't rinse it in the tank, since it leaves "sludge" behind. I'd do it outside or over a bucket with a strainer. I used a python, a bucket, and a strainer. It takes a really long time to get it clean.

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
The procedure I described is probably best suited for big tanks. Straining a bag or two should be easy enough. I was using eight bags.

My Flourite definitely arrived moist. In fact, after I opened a bag in the aquarium and let it dry out, it changed to a lighter color.

If you can't get the "sludge" to suspend in water long enough to pump it out no matter how much you stir the Flourite up, it's not going to be a problem in terms of clouding up your water.

I'm just proposing an alternate method that worked well for me.

It didn't take me a really long time to get it clean, and my water is clear.

Last edited:

ataylor

AC Members
Sep 21, 2006
www.northofthesavannah.com
Bah- I agree, you guys are working too hard.

I filled my 75-gal planted with 1.5" of flourite and then put an equal amount of substrate right on top. I put a plate on the substrate, a tea pitcher on that, put a garden hose in the pitcher, and just set the hose on dribble. I stopped the hose after about 5" to plant my plants, and then reset the hose on dribble again. A couple of hours later I had a full tank, and a day after that crystal clear water. I didn't even rinse the substrate either...

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
From what I understand, you need to rinse florite. If not, everytime you do a water change which should be often, then you will have a cloudy tank from the florite. After several water changes then you will not have this problem anymore.

Marinemom

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
seachem recommends you rinse the flourite.

it's a great substrate base but it's messy..I did mine in large buckets(5 gallon) and drained it in the front lawn..the lawn loves me now , :eek: tho there is this one section that is greener than the rest of the lawn :joke:

marine mom is correct even after rinsing you may see some silt it will get trapped in the filter and will settle out of the tank.

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
flourite is horribly dirty, lol

it trook me 27 rinses to get it clean, and it was STILL dirty after it was in the tank

if you put it in your tank unrinsed, it will probably take a few days to settle, and you will have to do water changes for the cloudyness

and after 27 rinses.... -,-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store