... *Drools* 200 gallon stocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TastierWay

complaints of violins
Jul 17, 2006
Bay Area, California
www.myspace.com
Okay, so my biology teacher has decided to switch schools and he had a 200 gallon in his classroom with some good-sized goldfish (two were mine) thrown in there with a MIGHTY plec. Interestingly enough, the plec never bothered the goldfish. I'm thinking he might be taking them with him when he leaves... which leaves the new replacement bio teacher with nothing in there.... I'm thinking I might suck up and set it up for him.

Any idea what would be nice for a tank that size? Any kind of theme? I'm really excited if I can do this, because I know that'll be the greatest welcome gift to give any bio teacher.

Genral72

Giver of worthless imformation.
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
First of all either get rid of the pleco or the goldfish. The pleco is tropical the goldfish are coldwater. From there well i like smaller( as in smaller fish) amazon setups.

TastierWay

complaints of violins
Jul 17, 2006
Bay Area, California
www.myspace.com
I've heard experienced hobbyists keeping plecs with goldfish before so I didn't ask him about it. I already know he's probably taking them, so you don't have to worry about me removing them. It'll most likely be empty anyway.

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
get some small natives like sunfish...cheap, hardy, and water temp isnt such a big deal.

podheadx

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Appleton Wisconsin
I was going to say the same thing, make it educational, get some native fish! You could probably go on a collecting trip to get your fish.

Otherwise, hmmm Oscars are neat, interactive, and won't grow out a 200g.

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
Hmmmmm.....

Welcome him with lots of Fishkeeping responsibility!

load it up with Discus & live plants!

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
gunther said:
get some small natives like sunfish...cheap, hardy, and water temp isnt such a big deal.

Before you go this route make sure you know the laws. I know in NY you can keep natives as long as you have a fishing license and the fish is legal size. The downside is once the fishing season ends you have to get rid of the fish. Every state has different rules and regulations. Also water temp is a big deal depending on the species.

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
water temp is not a big deal for fish collected from a Northeastern US climate like NY. They will tolerate just about anything close to room temp nicely. If you are gung-ho for ultimate growth etc.. then you may need to fine tune.

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
The water temp is a big deal! Fish collected from lakes,ponds,streams will be used to a higher concentration of O2 in the water. Also If temp wasn't a big deal why do fish go deeper (cooler) water during the day? If they are in a tank that is room temp it may be way hotter than they like. Just because a fish can tolerate higher temps doesn't mean it's good for their health. Your statement about being "gung-ho" about ultimate growth is laughable. "Ultimate growth" and health should be the most important part about keeping fish.

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
TetraFreak said:
Hmmmmm.....

Welcome him with lots of Fishkeeping responsibility!

load it up with Discus & live plants!
i agree with this :thm:
make the teacher make his own discus hamburg and also make his/her own fertilizer using bulk chemical for the live plants :p:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store