Mollys sitting on bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gnielsen1964

Registered Member
May 10, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
I have a pair of mollies that I have had for 2 months in a 20 gallon aquarium. They were very happy during this time, and even had babies. Recently, the male started to sit on the bottom so I transfered him into a 5 gallon hospital tank. This tank was house to a pair of zebras that are now in a totally different (third) tank. Now the female molly has been acting the same way, so I transferred her to the hospital tank also. The readings on both tanks are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and low levels of nitrate. Both mollies spend all day sitting on the bottom of the hospital tank, where as they used to swim around actively all day long. They will swim to the top and eat when I give them food, but then promptly return to sitting on the bottom when they are done. I have added a bit of salt to the hospital tank after reading that mollies sometimes prefer salt in their water, but it does not seem to have changed their behavior after about 1 week. They do not appear to be suffering from any diseases and still look the same as when I bought them. I'm running out of ideas and was hoping that someone might have more suggestions.

Thanks for your time and responses.

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
If the water parameters are perfect, your temps are perfect and there isn’t any outward sign of illness other than lethargy it is possible they might have internal parasites. Do they display clamped fins, rapid breathing or anything else that might seem other than normal? When I dealt with internal parasites lethargy, fast breathing and clamped fins was the first step before a few fish started to display the side-effect dropsy.
While it’s never a good idea to treat for something unless you know for sure what you’re dealing with, it might not be a bad idea to pick up some medication for internal parasites if your fish stop eating or start to display worsening conditions …just my thoughts. Hopefully someone else will have even better ideas. :)

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
I just lost a large female krib to Dropsy. She was file about 4 days ago.. about 3 days ago, she disapeared.. I thought she might have laid eggs... then I saw her and she looked fat... uh oh... Today, she died... obviously dropsy.

I wonder if this wasn't internal parasites... and if it is, how contagious is it?

I visited the tank that i bought her from and saw another female with the same symptoms... I only purchased her about 3 weeks ago... and I saw this other one dying about a week after I purchased her. Did I mention that I lost the first male I purchased from this same tank?

So yeah... it's hard to say take a gamble... However, if your fish if lethargic, personally, I haven't had good luck at recovery. I've lost them all, and I always hesitate to treat because I'm not sure of the cause. I think in this scenario... I would treat the fish for internal parasites. Once dropsy sets in, you're chances of recovery are very slim. It's a gamble, but rather than lose your fish, it's worth taking a shot. In all honesty, human doctors do this every day. Sometimes theyr'e right, sometimes they're wrong.. and sometimes they die anyway.

Don't go overboard though, follow the recommended doses and focus on just one medication/treatment. So you've got one guess...

saray2004

undercover genius
Feb 19, 2005
southern IL/ central MS
www.myspace.com
I've had mollies for over ten years (not the same ones of course). It's been my findings that if you keep the water in great condition and disease can be ruled out that sometimes they're just lazy. My molly crew on some days will cruise the tank like a pack of waterwolves and other days they just rest around the bottom taking in the scenery.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Aren't mollies brackishwater? I have never kept mollies so dont take my word for it but maybe you need to add marine salt to your water to make it brackish. Get another opinion first though cause like I said I have never kept mollies and I know very little about them.

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
fballguy said:
Aren't mollies brackishwater? I have never kept mollies so dont take my word for it but maybe you need to add marine salt to your water to make it brackish. Get another opinion first though cause like I said I have never kept mollies and I know very little about them.
:huh:
Honestly, why bother posting.... anyway...I need some coffee

Mollies are very versatile and can be kept in FW, brackish, and even full on salt water. Just acclimate them gradually. Many people keep mollies in FW tropical tanks just fine. If you want to make it a brackish or salt water tank, be sure to use MARINE salt, as stated above. I think your original post said you added salt, but didnt say what kind. Table salt can be used to treat ich, (very successfully!) but it doesnt seem like you ahve ich. Otherwise, its just an irritant.
What is your water change regimine like?

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
TheZoo said:
:huh:
Honestly, why bother posting.... anyway...I need some coffee
mmmm...coffee, coffee, coffee, cappuccino!!!

Ya, Mollys are fairly versatile so I doubt lack of salt (marine) is causing the lethargy. I also doubt they are being lazy. Mollys are extremely inquisitive if give the proper conditions, I still think internal parasites is the issue. How are they doing today?

gnielsen1964

Registered Member
May 10, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for your replies.

They are still hanging out at the bottom of the tank, though they do swim to the surface when they see me looking at them. They will also eat when given food. They do seem to show signs of heavy breathing, but they're fins are very actively moving to stay in one spot.

The salt that I added was table salt, about 1/2 tablespoon, into the 5 gallon hospital. I change about 20% (1 gallon) of water weekly and use water conditioners to remove clorine and add electrolytes to the water (NovAqua I think and the other one that came with it). I also make sure the temp of the added water is around the same as the tank.

Two weeks ago I was mixing an antibiotic in with frozen brine shrimp and feeding, but stopped when they did not seem to improve any. I treated them with it for 1 week. I can't remember the exact name of the medicine, but it starts with an "M" and is a white powder. It was expensive too, like $12 at the LFS. I am now wondering if this antibiotic was more for infections than for internal parasites. At any rate, I have stopped treating them with it.

Does anyone have any recomendations for internal parasites? I am beginging to wonder if they have the begining stages of dropsy, as there was a female dwarf gourami in the original 20 gallon that died and was "pineconed", but this was like 2-3 months ago. On a side note, none of the other fish in the 20 gallon seem to be acting any different, thankfully. I'm just glad I was able to seperate them out.

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
Are they flashing or look like theyve been sprinkled with salt? If not, theres no need to treat with salt, as its an ich treatment.
If you are using tap water, you shouldnt need to add anything but a water conditioner that removes chlorine and possibly chloramines.
Are they in a bare tank or are there some kind of decorations in there? Maybe they are stressed and need hiding places? Just thinking out loud...

I dont know about the parasite/infection though, hope someone else can help!

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
If it is an internal infection try using medicated food. You say they will eat so this may help. You should be able to find some at a LFS. Don't try mixing your own just follow the instructions. There are a few different types of medicated flake food out there. Look to make sure it deals with parasites. Only do this though if you know they have an infection. It would not hurt them but if they aren't sick now and do get sick in the futrue they will build up an immune system for the meds and they will then be pretty useless.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store