Untreated tap water kill parasites and other bacteria in aquarium water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

push350z

AC Members
Jul 28, 2006
As some of you may have read the thread I had some cory die off and I wanted to treat the tank and get rid of any possible parasites/bacteria. I've been putting in hot untreated water into my tank with the filter off and fish out, and my question is will the 90 degree temperature and the combination of chlorine and chloramine in the tap water naturally kill of any of these bacteria/organisms? My plan is now that it's been sitting at 90 for about 20 mins in untreated water 50% full, I'll fill it the rest of the way with 80 degree water and then treat the water about an hour after with conditioner and let the tank run for a while and then slowly add new fish into the tank.

grch36

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
You see Push350z, part of the reason we condition our water before putting water into our aquariums is to avoid killing beneficial bacteria. Although whatever chlorine in your water may or may not kill the bad bacteria, it will also kill the bacteria that make life for your fish possible and comfortable. An important part of this beneficial bacteria is your filter, it needs constant water flow for colonies to thrive and live. Stagnant water may kill this bacteria and if untreated water touches your filter... it will surely kill the entire colony and your cycle process will have to start all over. I recommend using salt to treat most diseases as most fish, but not all, can handle it. If your fish are sick, more frequent water changes should be done. The only thing warmer temperatures will do is accelerate the breeding cycle of these infections. Try to diagnose your problem first, was it just a bad batch of cories? are the other fish showing signs of disease? what are the water parameters? Can you double check them against a different test kit (maybe take the water to your LFS to be tested)?

push350z

AC Members
Jul 28, 2006
Yeah I guess I was just wondering if anyone had tried this, I mean it makes sense that's why they put chlorine and stuff in tap. I was just wondering if that would be sufficient to kill of bacteria in the water if it did exist.

Last edited:

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
Push,

It might be, but I for one wouldn't try it. I agree with what grch has already pointed out. If you kill all your good bacteria then you get to start all over with cycling which, as everyone knows, is a pain in the butt. I heard that using salt is a very affective method to cure many fish problems, along with frequent water changes (usually every day). Good luck.

Sandy

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
By the time the water comes out of your tap, in most cases, especially with hot water, so much of the chlorine (assuming that your water treatment plant uses chlorine as opposed to chloramine) has gassed-off that it would be ineffectual at doing much more than damaging your bacterial colonies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store