Female guppy issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gel85

Registered Member
Aug 3, 2006
I am having problems losing my female guppies. I had two very nice large female guppies both whom were pregnant. I isolated them to a 21/2 gallon tank using 50% water from the home tank and treating accordingly. After 8 hrs i put the guppies in the tank and all was well for about 5 days still no babies but their bellies kept getting larger. Then i noticed one of the females attacking the other one so we removed her from the tank and put her back in the community tank. The other female appeareed to be okay eating everything we gave her. Then she went into a severe slow down mode which we though she was getting ready to drop instead we noticed her tail was becomming schredded. we treated her but she died the next day.

Now back to the community tank and 2 of my other females now have these large white bands around them at about mid-body. We lost one yesterday and i am afraid the other one is not far behind. I notciced that the males will not leave her along. Can they be screwing her to death??? causing stress?

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Ok, need some more info please. Like, what kind and how many fish in each tank? Water parameters, any recent additions to the tank(s), and how long have they been set up. Also you said you treated her, how and with what?The shredded fin sounds like a parasite, but the other white bands sound like a fungus. If you've had any recent additions they could have brought in something.

More info please. :)

gel85

Registered Member
Aug 3, 2006
okay i do not have the water parameters but temp has been constant at 76 degrees
been doing 25% water changes weekly. It is a 5 gallon tank with 2 male guppies & 3 female guppies(now 2) a male & female pineapple swordtail and 4 small cory cats. I used mela-fix & malchite green. I also treated the tank with a little aquarium salt. i alos use nutrafin cycle

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Well. Looks like your overstocked by about double. General rule is 1 inch of fish to 1 gallon of water. Although thats not always the case, it does depend on what kind of fish. That many neon tetras in a 5 gallon could possibly work, but not the kind you have. Sorry.

Ok, you need to do alot more water changes first off. Second, get rid of some of the fish. Guppies do best with 1 male to 2-3 females. Your treatment sounds fine. So I'm thinking your problem is from being overstocked. Get a Freshwater Master test kit to check your water parameters. They could be getting Ammonia poisoning. For now I'd do at least a 50% change everyday.

gel85

Registered Member
Aug 3, 2006
I didn't mention I have a whisper filter filtration system. The freshwater master test kit will check all the levels in the tank? 50 % water change everyday? seems excessive can you explain?

robinos

Can you roll under water?
Apr 19, 2006
Philly, PA
Sounds like the 2.5 hadn't been cycled at all. Adding 50% water from the main tank isn't going to cycle a tank in 8 hours. Excess ammonia may have taken a toll on a possibly already unhealthy fish, accelerating her problems.

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
gel85 said:
50 % water change everyday? seems excessive can you explain?
Thats to get out any possible ammonia buildup, which seems likely that you have, due to your stocking. With that set up, youd want to be doing at least two 50% changes weekly. Also, rinse your filter media every other week or so in a cup of old tank water.

If you want to try and cycle a small tank in a short amount of time, you can seed it by using gravel and filter media (or filter media squeezings) form an established tank; using just the water wont do anything. Thats probably what did in the one guppy.

For now, do water changes on both tanks (do you use a gravel vacuum? Realy helps to get out poop and uneaten food, which add greatly to the ammonia levels). Soon, you need to either get a larger tank for your fish (20 gallon or larger) or rehome some of them. Also, if/when your guppies produce fry, what are your plans for them? If you have none, Id think about seperating the sexes. You can keep 3 , maybe 4, male guppies in the 5 gallon OR 2, maybe 3 females.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store