rusty,bruno,violet pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Does anyone own one of these? I'm planning on gettign one if my LFs can order some in. I plan to put them into my african peacock tank. I know htey get about 8" and eat algae but i'm wondering if people would like to share their experiences with their rusties.

Their L numbers are L-077/137

MotorcyclesFish

English
Dec 2, 2001
South London, England
Visit site
shame this thread went unanswered for so long.

I have one of these great little plecs in my 3ft tank and he's great. A couple of things i notice:

- they like camouflage - give them something their colour to sucker onto, and they're a lot less skittish.
- they need bogwood to gnaw on to get lignin (and possibly other supplements) in their diet.

both points above can be sorted with a big bit of bogwood. Around other loricariids they can be a little aggressive over things like food or a spot to sucker for the day, but not territorial as such, and never to the point where anyone gets hurt. Mine has a love/hate relationship with my male ancistrus, who's roughly the same size.

Another point is you can hear them when they're munching on things - especially at night. Many's the night i've drifted off to sleep to the sound of "scrape scrape scrape" (and many's the time i've been startled awake by PLOOSH but that's the hoplos and gouramies being excitable - different story)

lovely looking plec overall, i especially like the clean lines that their colour gives them, and the cute way their "nose" (tip of head) moves when they're chewing on something - it reminds me of a puppy's wrinkly nose :p

oh also just rereading your post - pure algae wafers alone won't do these guys justice - for best results use normal wafers, algae wafers, occasional bloodworm and courgette (i think you lot call it zucini or something). they can strip a courgette slice to the skin in a couple of hours :p

hope this helps

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
well thanks for responding, i found it weird no one had one of these. I talked to my LFs guy and he said he would try and order me one next time he puts in his fish order. I"m going to be adding some driftwood to my tank, just a small piece for him. I will feed him a varied diet, I have carnivour pellets, 3 different algaae waffers and a bunch of other veggies and stuff. I have other plecos so i know how to care for them and already have the foods.

So do you see yours often?or are they one of the more shy plecos?How big is yours and how old?

MotorcyclesFish

English
Dec 2, 2001
South London, England
Visit site
well i initially got mine cos the shop was out of ancistruses (ancistri?) and my mum brought it home for me. it was the same size as a baby ancistrus then (tiny), and i thought, ahh cute. he's now ~5", and i see him all the time, mainly cos he's too big to fit in most of the caves. like most plecs he's extremely strong, and has dug huge holes just flapping his tail around to get comfortable. He's quite skittish at the mo, but he never used to be. I think you'll see a lot of him, i get the feeling they're not generally that skittish, i must put a dedicated lump of bogwood in for him. i think most plecs are happy when they have a personal base of operations :p btw he's about a year or two old now - i've not been in the hobby a huge length of time, but i've got 4 tanks in the house now, and i always enjoy seeing him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store