Firefish and Clownfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sweethoneyjlp86

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
I have a 12 gallon nano cube with 3 hermit crabs, one fire fish, one turbo snail, and one cleaner shrimp. I have heard that the firefish will be scared to come out if I put a clownfish in. Can I put in a clownfish with the firefish? If so, what will happen? Or do I need to take the firefish back and get 2 clownfish. Thanks so much

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
that's completely false. firefish get along perfectly well with clownfish, and nothing should go amiss if you put one in with the firefish.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I've read of a firefish atacking a clown, only ONCE, but I posted about it here a while ago, and aparently firefish will only get "agressive" when there isn't enough rockwork. So, how much rockwork do you have?

Also, if your happy with your tank with only one fish in it, leave it that way. Less fish = less nutrints in the water, less nutrients in the water = less bad algae, less bad algae = a better looking tank. Less fish also = healthier fish in many cases.

rimrider19k

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
My fiance posted this topic for me and I have 15 lbs of live rock and I have quite a bit of architecture. The fire fish currently is not very active. He just kinds of lounges around. I am looking for somthing that has some personality and moves some more. I had an algea problem but it was a light related issue and it is under control now. Thanks for any help. Also will the firefish be affected if I put the host sea anemonie(SP) for the clown fish in. Will it hurt him or will he be ok. Thanks for your help.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
The firefish as well as anything else in the tank that doesn't naturally host in an anemone, could be eaten by the anemone if it's big enough. However, "host anemones" have VERY poor survival rates in captivity, many of them dieing within the first three months, so I do not recomend you buy them. Leave them in the ocean where they will live forever if conditions remain right (anemones have no natural lifespan).

FYI, Most clowns are tank raised or tank bred, and have never even seen an anemone. Becuase of this, they are just as likely to host in soft and LPS corals as they are to host in an anemone.

Last edited:

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
my clowns host in frog spawn and only because new clownfish got in it, so the clown that never even took a second look at the coral before, got in with the new clown and now they host it together. the funny thing is that my old clown suckles on tenticals like a baby on the thum before it goes to sleep. i think it's maybe like a drug addiction to him now. at some point i moved the coral away from these two clowns because i don't think that the coral likes them, but they moved with it in the metter of seconds. so the poor coral is stuck with them. i also have a fire fish that barely ever comes out from under the rock, it has it's own little cave. but when he comes out to eat, the clowns don't care. they just don't like any fish next to their coral very much, sometimes they try to chase my yellow tang away, which often unnoticed by him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store