Damsels ... Distressed!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesaladco

Registered Member
Aug 2, 2006
Good News! ... my 40 gallon tank is finally set up including the Bio-Active Sand, 32 pounds of live rock, 4 small hermit crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 2 damsels.

The question ...

Today I added a long tentacle anenome and a yellow clown fish (species ?). The anenome quickly rolled down the rock and found a nice nook at the base of two rocks. The clown fish spent most of the day chasing the green damsel while the blue damsel sought shelter deep inside a rock hole. Finally, around night fall, the clown went to the anenome and hasn't left.

I have heard so much about Damsels being aggressive, yet they seem to be scared of the clown fish. I originally bought the Damsels to "cycle" the tank per the suggestions of various people. I feel bad about attempting their lives, but I thought it was necessary. Are any fish in jeopardy? What should I do?

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
Clowns will protect their anemone and are very territorial. Depending on the size of the clown and the rest of the fish I am betting they will all settle down. The liverock will shelter the damsels and give them a place to hide. Note that chances are the clown will do this with most fish you add to the tank if they are approximately in similar size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store