Glofish dying?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tmtpowers

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Burlington, NC
www.ferretvillage.org
First off I know some people are against glofish and that's OK to have your own opinion about them but that's not what I'm wanting to discuss here.

I originally started out with 6 glofish. My first one was heavy with eggs but soon died. I figured with it being just days after getting her, perhaps it was stress. Well several weeks later another female became heavy with eggs then died during a PWC though this was a daily routine since I was/am cycling. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in the glofish or even zebra danios? Is this common or have I just had a few strikes of bad luck? I am wanting to find out so if it is actually a defect in glofish, I will know to not buy anymore as I don't want to support the breeding of a defect in any fish of any kind.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i started with four of these beautiful fish. i now have 2. also new tank, but did not notice obvious swelling with eggs. the LFS i work at sells them for $10, i only have to pay $3.29, but still dont plan on buying more unless this tank settles out really well, which im hoping for.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
that is one thing that caught me off guard. because of the nature of zebra danios i assumed that if anyone had problems in that tank, the glofish would be the last to feel it. from what i understand all they did was add the coral DNA.

danio_rerio_87

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
Lubbock
The only reason I have ever had a zebra die is from stress. My females become full with eggs all of the time and I have never had one die. I don't really know anything about glofish but if they do come from zebras I find it odd for that to be happening.

tmtpowers

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Burlington, NC
www.ferretvillage.org
Well there is always the possibility that my two died from stress. The first died 2 days after I bought her but from the time I brought her home, she stayed at the top of the QT tank. The second died right in front of me during a PWC. It could be possible that it just so happened that both where heavy with eggs when they died. Then again, it could be that even though just a gene was added, perhaps this hindered them in some way. That's what I'm trying to find out now.

danio_rerio_87

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
Lubbock
what is the gender of your other glofish? you said you had 6 and lost 2 females. If you have other females, are any of them full of eggs?

gst4life

New 20 gallon!
Aug 5, 2006
Maryland

They creep me out.....They are like a pink zebra ... ewww

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store