stem rot and gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I am having problems with not only roots not growing but also stems rotting under my gravel. I realize that the gravel is not ideal for root growth, as it's too heavy and doesn't hold onto nutrients. This is not happening with potted plants that came with root development, just clipped stem plants. I am going to upgrade to laterite substrate, preferably under about an inch of my river gravel as I prefer the look of the river gravel.

Am I still going to have the problem of stems rotting in the top inch or so of gravel over the laterite? Should I do away with gravel completely, or make it a smaller layer (1/2 inch)?

I know I could make it all Eco-complete or some other attractive plant substrate, but I want to steer clear of the ones that add metal nutrients, especially copper. I had a recent problem with my shrimps dying, so I don't want to repeat that fiasco. In this way, a top layer of regular gravel may also prevent the shrimps from contacting the nutrients in the laterite (which I will supplement with Flourish tabs).

I'm not totally attached to the idea of laterite, but it's cheaper and doesn't add excess stuff like pH-buffering substances, etc. So if anyone has any other suggestions for which plant substrate to use, I will look into those, too :)

Thanks in advance!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
IME, I've had problems with stem plants if I try to plant them as a bunch.

if I remove the leaves from the bottom part of the plant, and plant that, ensure that light can get down to the base of the stem it's normally OK.

This is in a tank with predominantly pea gravel so it's fairly big and heavy,

of course YMMV

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Thanks, Doug.

What's YMMV?

I tried bunching the plants to help weigh them down and keep them from coming out of the gravel, but it seems to make stem rotting worse :(

well, I guess I'll try the laterite and a small layer of gravel on top. Hope it works. I'm spending a lot of $$ on plants, but it's all a learning process.

Any other thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
YMMV - your mileage may vary

if you bunch them together, all the stems on the inside of the bunch will not get any light, without light they'll rot, causing the otehrs to rot too.

like the proverbial bad apple, or something.

If the gravel's heavy enough, try planting individial stems and see what happens, the substrate should really be immaterial for the most part for stem plants. Let everyone know what you're planting, maybe someone will have more specific ideas.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
ahh, the lack of light theory makes sense.

the specific plants that are presenting a problem with stem rot are Cabomba, red ludiwigia (L. repens), and red long leaf Rotala (don't know scientific name). Basically, anything that comes to me as a clipped stem with no root growth.

lately I have taken them out of the bunches and they seem to be staying OK in the gravel. Sometimes, though, I still get stems rotting. Is this due to lack of light under the gravel? Will the laterite help by allowing them to grow roots?

thanks again, Doug and whoever else responds :)

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
HI,
Don't know if you can, but I like to let my unrooted stems float until they develop some roots. Takes awhile to do so.
What I also did was plant them in little seedling pots(empties from some store bought annuals) with some inexpensive aquatic soil from Lowes and let them root up in a little nursery I set up. Long plastic tub with a storm window on top and lighting. Also, as someone suggested, take the bottom few leaves off and plant the stem deep. In any case, they will take time to root.
Ps. I have grown, Wisteria, red ludiwigia, and crypts in natural gravel with no problems. Just need to fertilize correctly.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Thanks, GCL. I like the idea of a grow-out pot for the stem plants. I've done that with seedlings (terrestrial), but it never occurred to me to try it with aquatics. I think I'll try that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store