# of fish to add?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
Hi everyone,

I'm still cycling my 10 gallon with my betta in it, but i am planning to put some harlequin (sp?) rasboras in it after its done cycling, and maybe an otto? (I'de love to hear other fish suggestions to go with my betta or any other suggestions at all about my tank ;))Anyway, I was wondering if it would be better to add the rasboras 3 at a time, or put 5 or 6 in all at once and wait to put in the otto later? I want everyone's opinion on it, as I dont want a major episode with my tank or my fish. Thanks.

Sandy

gst4life

New 20 gallon!
Aug 5, 2006
Maryland
Do otos get huge?

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
gst4life said:
Do otos get huge?
No, they grow to about 1 1/2 inches as adults. I would not suggest getting the Oto's until you get a larger tank. The reason being is a 10g tends to have more spikes then a larger tank and the Oto's are pretty picky about the water they are in. They also prefer to be in a small group of say 5 or so.

As for the HQ's get six this will make them happier. They do not have a large bioload so that will not be an issue. They are also pretty hardy fish and very fun to watch.

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
Eveyone,

Thanks for all your replys! I think ill just go for the 6 HQ's, 3 at a time to make sure my tank doesn't do anything weird. I figured they would be better than danios or neons because they seem to be slower moving (which I think my betta will enjoy). I'll go without the otto's, as I dont want to overload my tank and I dont think i could do right by only have 1 or 2 (if they should really be in a school). Is their any bottom feeding fish that is a loner that would do well in my 10g tank? I dont plan to move any of these fish, they will all stay in this tank. I'm just trying to plan a bit ;)

Sandy

Gourami Power

Gourami Keeper
No problem. When I first started out I had the following in a 10g:

Common Pleco
2 Common Goldfish
2 Black Moor
Male Betta
2 Oranda Goldfish

And they are all still alive. My friend has a Goldfish Pond that has all of the Goldfish above. My Cousin Has the Betta, and the Pl*co is somewhere in my friends miniature pond/lake.

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
Yup. When you know better, you do better!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store