Fish murdering Ramshorn snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
came home today to find the closing "door" on the foot of my snail on the other side of the tank as the empty shell. the only inhabitants are another snail, oscar, 3 balas and a pleco.

Uhhm...did it get MURDERED?
The body is nowhere to be found.

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
the litle hard flat thing on the end of their belly-foot. When they retract it helps sheild their opening. I found that all by itself away from the tank. THAT little door thingi.

Edit: My snails are HUGE. Im serious. They are the size of plums, nearly.

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
well, all the fish are about 6 inches. And im guessing it WAS a murder now...no sign of any body, and the shell is there, but completely empty, and intact.
Oh boy..I dont even know why! I feed them well, ( and sometimes more than I should! )
and they ahve great tempermants. And they've lived with the snails forever.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Haven't you ever done something just to see if you could do it?;)

corvettekid82

AC Members
Feb 2, 2003
Deland FL
Visit site
Originally posted by Allison Reed
the litle hard flat thing on the end of their belly-foot. When they retract it helps sheild their opening. I found that all by itself away from the tank. THAT little door thingi.
That'd be the operculum. :D Collecting sea shells comes in handy sometimes (these 'doors' are prized to have along with the shell of any good specimen).
Also, I'd guess your Oscar had a nice tasty treat... I've seen them attack snails before. They are only successful if they catch the snail off guard with its 'door' open though, so maybe your snail was just slow on the defense :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store