How to add gravel/move gravel without killing fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TwanDizzle

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Hey guys, i've found some fake plants in the LFS that i really like... the stand is made of gravel (that closely resembles what i have now), and has specific shapes (like you can fit perfectly into the corner)... my question is how can i push the gravel out of the way to put the plant in? my concern for the most part is my cories.. i don't want to crush them.. another question is about adding gravel... i knew from the beginning that i didn't have enough, but was planning on adding more later on, now later on has come, and i've got too many fish in there. i don't have anywhere else to put them temporarily.. could i push all the gravel to one side, place the plants where i want them, and then level it back out? how could i keep all my fish on one side of the tank while i pour gravel in on the other side? i figure i'll have to remove half of the water because of displacement (it would eventually overflow, right?)

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Just go and get a rubbermaid tub from walmart or someplace...that's what I did when I moved all my fish around I even was able to hook up thier filter while I was doing it.

Good luck!

quiksilver

quiksilver
Aug 2, 2006
Australia
hand fulls... take your time. im sure once you start adding gravel and puting your hands in the tank your fish will sus it out and stay up the other end.

TwanDizzle

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
well guys, nevermind, i added the plants and driftwood, and after leveling all the gravel out, i didn't need anymore... it covers up the black part of the frame on the bottom, so i'm happy... quiksilver, the idea of my fish staying on the other end wouldn't help anyway, my danios attack my hand and fingers whenever they get in the water! but anyway, here's how i did it.. i used my net to scare my cories away, and then scooped the gravel away to make a clearing to add the other stuff, then leveled it out, and repeated it for the other end, and the driftwood in the middle..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store