Metal Halide Aquarium Light & Grow Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biglittlehoss

AC Members
May 10, 2006
Indiana
I have been trying to find out if there is a difference, and if so, what is the difference between a metal halide aquarium light and a metal halide grow light? Are the spectrums different? Can a grow light of the same wattage let's say a 400 for example be used in place of a aquarium light? The reason I am asking? Grow light fixtures are less expensive then aquarium fixture? And since I am looking for a pendant type thought I might go that route. Thank you for any assistance. :look:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
You have to kow the specs of the individual lamps, but I would say probably not. The halide grow lamps I am familiar with have lower color temperatures (~5000 kelvin) than those used on marine aquaria (6700-20000 K). That will have an effect on the appearance of the tank and corals, and may also encourage algae growth.

Even among the aquarium halide lamps of the same supposed color temperature, there are large differences in terms of usable output (PAR), and spectrum.

That being said, I am actually using a 5000 K lamp over my seagrass tank right now. I wanted the look of very shallow water, and the plants and photosynthetic gorgonians have been quite happy with the spectrum. It would look awful on a reef tank, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store