electric blue jack dempsey help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
My tank is 55 Gallons. I have 2 Large Silver Dollars, 1 small Tiger Pleco, 1 small Convict, and 1 small Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. The Blue Dempsey used to swim around all the time and seem happy for weeks, but over the last few days he’s suddenly just started swimming in one cave and never comes out. And I mean barely even moving in that cave. He doesn’t come out to eat, to swim around, nothing. I’ve tried bloodworms, brine shrimp, pellets, flakes. I’m starting to get really worried about him. He’s my favorite fish and by far the most colorful. He’s not even remotely acting like a Jack. Is there anything I can do? Some secret to making him come out. I don’t think it’s necessarily because of the Convict either. He seems scared of the Silver Dollars also. I have caves, but maybe I need more. I just don’t know. I just want him to be happy. HELP! Thanks in advance. :help:

55gal.
80 degrees
plants, caves, dark substrate.

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
My largest EB Dempsey is the shyest fish. I am worried about him as well. I have him in my breading tank and he is acting like yours. He is in with 2 common females both that are about 3 inches. I would guess the male is around 4 1/2 inches. He comes out to eat and is the most agressive eater in the tank. They are in a 46 bowfront. I know the tank is small. I'm looking to upgrade however he was alway a shy fish and hid. I have to be conserned about your fish not eating. I also am intrested in some feedback on your thread.

I also have 7 2in EBs in a 45 gal. I bought them for Jeff Rapps. I'm holding them for a time to get some pairs with commons then selling the rest off. This is a good envestment because they will be worth even more when bigger. Oh, My point is they are all happy agressive fish lke your was. I will know soon enough if they all turn out to be cowards.

Doese anyone have experience with bow fonts. Doese the bow magniphy our images and scare the fish?

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
Anyone else have a Blue Dempsey that could provide some advice? Anything at all?

I fear for my little guy's life.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
First question, how big is he? I have some experience with them, but I want to caution you that I'm certainly no expert. I've had four and two have died in the past for reasons I can't begin to identify. They simply stopped eating (actually one NEVER ate that I could see) and stayed in one place until they died. There were no obvious signs of any problem. They were also BOTH about 2-2.5" at the time. The two that remain with me now are about 4.5" and 4". I have heard in the past that others have found that they are vulnerable when they are small and that if they get beyond 3" they seem to be as hardy as any other fish. Hence my question about size. If over 3", I would say that you should treat as if it has some internal problem - infection, parasite, etc. Good luck, they ARE beautiful fish and it kills me to lose one!

slowlyburn

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
Pittsburgh PA
Yea that is probably genetic... I had an eb for about a month or so and it ate like a pig for about 3 weeks and then it just stopped and got real shy like... No new tankmates or anything out of the norm... Needless to say that fish is in fishy heaven... Dont know what happened???

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
my EBJD is/was about 1.5". He's a small little guy, but he's all but dead now. I doubt he'll make it through the day.

I guess EBJD's are not that hardy. He was fine for weeks, then a few weeks later and he's sleeping with the fishes.

Major bummer to me. I really put alot of effort, money, and time into making this fish as happy as possible, boy did that backfire. I don't think I'll get another one until I can have a EBJD species only tank for them.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Well, as I said, I lost the very first one I bought, and one of the three I bought later (my whole idea was to maybe get ONE to live out of the three, so I'm ahead of the game). All of the fish I bought came from Jeff Rapps, so quality wasn't a factor, and the price was reasonable - Clearly some of the prices being asked for around the country make buying three to end up with one not particularly appealing! I also kept the last three together in the same tank with no other cichlids to hedge my bets as much as possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store